Karela Fry Andhra style is a simple and healthy vegetarian dish made with diabetes-friendly bitter gourds and spices. The flavourful and nutritiously rich Kakarakaya Vepudu Kura goes well with hot steamed rice and Rasam.
Karela recipes aren’t for everyone; the thought of the bitter flavour is enough to put people off. But I love bitter gourds and for good reason. You can sure minimize the bitterness if you follow my way of cooking bitter melon.
Health benefits of Bitter Melon/Karela/Bitter Gourd are numerous. Bitter Melon is a powerhouse of nutrients – it is well-known for it’s ability to lower blood-sugar levels in diabetics. Bitter Gourd for diabetes management is highly effective. Indian bitter melon for weight loss has proven to be very promising.
Karela Fry Andhra Recipe:
Karela Fry Andhra Style is a dry karela recipe that is extremely good for health, bitterness and all. It contains a chemical that brings down your blood sugar levels. So, give it a try and you’ll see it kinda slowly grows on you.
Kakarakaya Vepudu goes well with Dal-Rice or Chapathis. For quick and healthy meal ideas, you can rustle up this vegetarian karela dish Indian style!
1. To make Kakarakaya Ullipaya Masala Vepudu (fried karela with onions and masala), wash fresh bitter gourds and slice them finely into rings.
2. Finely chop the onions. Wash and pick fresh curry leaves.
3. Heat oil in a frying pan. Toss in chana dal and urad dal, sauté and add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Once they start to splutter add curry leaves.
4. Add finely chopped onions and fry till they turn translucent.
5. Drop in the raw karela slices and combine well for Andhra Karela Fry.
6. Sprinkle turmeric powder, sambhar powder, red chilli powder and salt. Mix well, put a lid on and cook on a low flame till the bitter gourd slices are done and well coated with the spices.
7. Remove and serve Karela Fry Andhra Style with plain Rice and dal.
Kakarakaya Masala Vepudu Recipe details:
- Karela (Bitter Gourd) – 200 gms
- Onions – 2, medium
- Mustard Seeds – ¾ tsp
- Chana Dal – 1 ½ tsp
- Urad Dal – 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds – ¾ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
- Sambhar Powder – 1 ½ tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
- Oil – ¾ tbsp
- Curry leaves - 2 sprigs
- Wash and thinly slice the karelas into roundels.
- Peel and chop the onions finely. Wash and pick curry leaves.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the chana dal and urad dal. Once they change colour, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves. Saute.
- Add the chopped onions and sauté till the onions become translucent.
- Add the karela slices, mix well.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, salt and sambhar powder. Combine well. Cook covered on a low flame till the karelas turn a crispy brown.
- Remove and serve Karela Fry Andhra style as a side dish with Rice or Phulkas.