Prawn Malai Curry is a traditional Bengali preparation of prawns in fresh coconut milk. Creamy Chingri Macher Malaikari is a delicious Bengali style delicacy where lightly sautéed prawns are simmered in a spiced coconut milk gravy. Authentic Bengali Prawn Malai Curry goes well with steamed rice or Pulao.
Prawns have high protein content, essential for growth and development. Prawns are low in calories and rich in heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids.
Jumbo Prawn Malai Curry Recipe Step By Step:
Prawn Malaikari is a classic Bengali dish where jumbo prawns are simmered in spices and thick coconut milk. Chingri Mach is the Bengali term for prawns/shrimps. Learn how to make this easy and delicious Bengali prawn curry with coconut milk.
1. To make Bengali Chingri Malai Curry, clean and devein the prawns. Sprinkle salt, turmeric and red chilli powder and set aside for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile grate (or grind) the onions and slit the chilli.
3. Heat oil in a frying pan. Toss in the marinated prawns and sauté till they get a golden tinge. Remove fried chingri maach into a bowl and keep aside.
4. To the same pan, add the bay leaves, cinnamon, cardamom and cloves. When they begin to splutter, add the onions and green chilli. Fry on medium heat till the onions turn brown.
5. Tip in the ginger paste and fry for a couple of minutes.
6. Sprinkle turmeric, chilli powder, cumin powder, salt and sugar and mix well.
7. Stir in the sautéed prawns, mix everything together and pour in ¾ cup of water. Cover and cook the prawns curry for 10 minutes.
8. Gently mix in the coconut milk and simmer on low heat till the prawns are done and the chingri malai gravy becomes thick and creamy.
9. Add a dash of cardamom powder and finish off chingri malai curry with a blob of pure ghee.
10. Remove and serve delicious Bengali Prawn Malai Curry with plain white rice.
Prawn Curry With Coconut Milk Recipe details below:
- Jumbo Prawns - 12
- Turmeric - ½ tsp
- Red chilli powder - ½ tsp
- Onions – 3 large
- Green chilli – 1
- Ginger Paste – 1 tsp
- Bay Leaves - 2
- Cinnamon stick – 1
- Cloves - 5
- Cardamom - 6
- Oil - 3 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Sugar – ½ tsp
- Cumin Powder – ½ tsp
- Red Chilli Powder - ½ tsp
- Coconut Milk – 1 ½ cups
- Ghee - 1 tsp
- Cardamom Powder – ½ tsp
- For this easy prawn curry recipe Indian style, clean and devein the prawn. Marinate with salt, ½ tsp of turmeric powder and ½ tsp of chilli powder. Keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Grate the onions and slit the green chilli. (You can also grind the onions to a smooth paste).
- Heat oil in a pan and lightly fry the prawns on both sides. Remove and keep aside.
- Add bay leaves, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom to the same oil.
- Once they start to splutter, add grated onions and green chilli. Fry for 4-5 minutes, till the onions brown.
- Add ginger paste and sauté for 2-3 minutes till the raw smell disappears.
- Add remaining red chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt and sugar. Add cumin powder. Mix well.
- Toss in the fried prawns, combine well and add ¾ cup of water. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and simmer on low flame till the gravy thickens and the prawns are well cooked.
- Sprinkle some cardamom seed powder and top off with a blob of ghee.
- Remove and serve Bengali Chingri Macher Malai Curry with hot rice.