Rajma Masala is a popular Punjabi dish of kidney beans in a flavourful onion tomato base. Rajma-Chawal is a mouth-watering combination that is popular in North India. Punjabi Rajma Curry is nutritious and filling and looks absolutely appealing when cooked in a thick tomato gravy with an aromatic mix of spices.
Red Kidney Beans are true superfood that are packed with protein, fibre, folate and magnesium. The health benefits of red kidney beans include protecting against heart disease, stabilizing blood sugar levels, anti-aging and weight loss properties. They are a good source of cholesterol-lowering fiber and have a low Glycemic Index.
Rajma Masala Punjabi Style:
Rajma curry is a nutritious and filling dish where red kidney beans are simmered in an appetising and delicious onion-tomato gravy. Curried red kidney beans go well with hot rice and green salad.
This quick and easy red kidney beans recipe cooked Punjabi style is mildly spiced but carries all the authentic flavours of Punjab!
How to make Punjabi Rajma Masala:
1. To make Punjabi Rajma Curry, soak red kidney beans in water overnight. Drain the water, wash rajma under fresh water. Pressure cook with sufficient water for about 20-30 minutes. Retain cooking liqueur.
2. Peel and finely chop the onions, tomatoes and fresh coriander. Heat oil in a frying pan and crackle cumin seeds.
3. Add the onions and ginger-garlic paste (You can use finely grated ginger and minced garlic). Saute till the onions become slightly brown.
4. Tip in the tomatoes and cook with a lid on till the tomatoes soften.
5. Sprinkle turmeric, cumin powder, salt, sugar, red chilli powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder. Combine well.
6. Add the cooked red kidney beans and mix well. Add 1 cup of cooking liqueur, cover with a lid and simmer on medium flame for about 10 minutes till the gravy thickens.
7. Sprinkle Kasuri Methi and mix in butter. Garnish the red beans curry with coriander leaves.
Red Kidney Beans Recipe details:
- Rajma/kidney beans – 1 cup
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Onion – 2 medium, sliced
- Ginger garlic paste – ½ tsp
- Garam Masala powder– ¼ tsp
- Tomato – 2 medium, chopped
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Jeera Powder – ½ tsp
- Coriander Powder – ½ tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – ½ tsp
- Coriander Leaves to granish
- Kasuri Methi – ¼ tsp
- Sugar - ¼ tsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Butter - ½ tbsp
- To make Rajma Masala Dhaba Style, wash and soak rajma overnight.
- Next morning, discard water, wash rajma in fresh water and pressure cook for about 25-30 minutes till soft. Strain and keep aside. Retain the cooking liqueur.
- Chop onions, tomatoes and coriander leaves.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds and allow to crackle.
- Add chopped onions, stir, add ginger-garlic paste.
- Fry for 4-5 minutes on medium heat till onions turn brown.
- Put in the chopped tomatoes. Cook covered on low flame for 3-4 minutes till the tomatoes become mushy.
- Add turmeric, red chilli powder, cumin powder, salt, sugar, coriander powder and garam masala powder. Sauté till the masalas are well mixed.
- Add the boiled rajma, mix well and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add liqueur (1 cup) and cook covered for 10 minutes on medium flame till the dish reaches the desired consistency. Add water if necessary.
- Dry roast kasuri methi on a tava and add to the simmering rajma masala. Cook for a minute more, add a blob of butter and remove. Garnish rajma masala gravy with fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve Rajma Masala Punjabi style with Chawal, Jeera Rice or Phulkas.