Tomato Dal Andhra style is lentils cooked with tomato and spices. Andhra Tomato Pappu has a rich texture and a distinctive tangy flavour.
Pappu with tomato is a popular and delicious Andhra dal. Tomato Dal is usually cooked with tuvar/tur dal/kandi pappu, though it varies as per personal choice.
Tomato is a superfood that’s rich in anti-oxidants, excellent for heart health and helps lower cholesterol levels. It’s loaded with Vitamin C, has anti-cancer properties and boosts bone health.
Tomato Dal Andhra Recipe:
Tomato Pappu is known for its bold flavour and colourful appearance. Andhra Tomato Dal tastes awesome with hot rice and a dollop of ghee! Learn how to make South Indian pappu tomato recipe.
How to make Andhra Tomato Dal:
1. To make lentils with tomatoes, take Tur Dal in a bowl and wash well. Tranfer the dal into a pressure-cooker, add sufficient water and cook till done. Mash the cooked dal lightly and set aside.
2. Slice the onions, chop tomatoes and coriander leaves, slit the green chillies. Wash and pick curry leaves.
3. Heat oil in a frying pan. Sizzle mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Add dry red chillies and garlic flakes. Saute.
4. Add hing, urad dal and curry leaves. Saute till the curry leaves are turn crisp.
5. Add sliced onions and slit green chillies and fry for a couple of minutes.
6. Tip in chopped tomatoes. Sprinkle turmeric and cook covered on low-medium flame till the tomatoes turn soft.
7. Add the cooked dal and combine well. Add salt and bring the tomato pappu to a boil. (Add some water if the dal gets too thick).
9. Garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves and serve Tomato Dal Andhra style with plain rice and pappad.
Andhra Tomato Toor Dal Recipe details:
- Tur Dal (Kandi Pappu) – ⅓ cup
- Onion – 1 medium, sliced
- Garlic – 3 pods, lightly crushed
- Tomato – 1 large, chopped
- Green Chilli - 1
- Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
- Coriander leaves – 1 tsp
- Oil – ½ tbsp
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Cumin seeds – ¼ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric – ½ tsp
- Urad dal – ¼ tsp
- Red Chilli – 1
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Wash and pressure cook the tur dal until soft. Lightly mash and keep aside.
- Add oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and allow to crackle. Add cumin seeds and red chillies, sauté, add garlic flakes and stir till slight brown,
- Add a pinch of hing, urad dal and curry leaves. Saute.
- Add onions and green chillies and stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and turmeric and mix well. Cook with a lid on till the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Add the cooked and mashed dal and salt to the onion-tomato mixture and combine well. Simmer till a slightly thick consistency is reached.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve Andhra Tomato Dal with steamed rice.
* You can add 1 tsp of tamarind paste to enhance flavour.