Vanjaram Vepudu is a spicy seer fish fry recipe made Andhra style. A simple fried fish recipe made with basic ingredients and it comes out perfect! The subtle masala flavours blend perfectly with the Indian seer fish.
In South India, Vanjaram vepudu is a delicacy. Fresh fish is well marinated with Indian spices and then simmered on medium heat. The exceptionally savory shallow fried fish, all golden brown and crisp, is a sheer delight.
Vanjaram Vepudu Recipe Step By Step:
Vanjaram meen fry if by far the best fish fry recipe – it definitely delivers! What’s more, there’s no fishy flavour at all. Fish fry masala looks good and tastes great for sure!
How to make Andhra Vanjaram Vepudu:
To make seer fish masala fry, wash the fish pieces and pat dry. (To get rid of odour, apply vinegar or lime and salt on the fish and wash off after 5 minutes).
Combine salt, turmeric, red chilli powder, garam masala powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, ginger-garlic paste, curry leaves, lemon juice and 2 tsp oil in a mixing bowl.
Coat the vanjaram fish well with the prepared marinade. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
Heat oil in a non-stick pan. Add the fish pieces to the pan in a single layer.
Cover with a lid and cook the fish on a medium-low flame for 5-7 mins. Remove lid and carefully turn the pieces over. Cover and cook for a further 5-7 mins.
Remove the lid, check if the fish is fully cooked; or else fry the meen varuval masala for a further 1-2 minutes till both sides of the fish turn a crisp brown.
Remove and serve this unbelievably delicious Andhra Vanjaram Vepudu with white rice or as a starter.
Vanjaram Seer Fish Fry Recipe details below:
- Seer Fish (Vanjaram) – 6 pieces
- Oil – 4 tbsp
- Turmeric – 1 tsp
- Chilli powder – 2 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 ½ tsp
- Garam masala – ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- For this seer fish fry recipe, wash the fish pieces under running water. Drain off the water thoroughly and pat dry.
- Mix all the ingredients mentioned under marination and apply the same on the fish pieces. Keep in a refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Heat a pan and pour 4 tbsp oil.
- Place the marinated fish pieces in the pan.
- Cover and cook the fish on medium heat for 5-7 minutes.
- Gently flip the pieces over. Cover and cook for another 5-7 mins.
- Remove the lid and roast the pieces to a nice golden brown.
- Transfer Andhra Chepa Vepudu into a serving dish. Serve Vanjaram Fish Fry with onion slices and lemon wedges.
* Bring the fish to room temperature before frying.