Chingri Macher Bati Chorchori is a classic Bengali dish where prawns and potatoes are simmered with a mix of ingredients. Chingrir Bati Chorchori is a simple and easy prawn curry recipe and requires minimal effort.
Prawns contain omega-3 fatty acids and are rich in selenium and Vitamin B12. Prawns protect against cancer, prevent Alzheimer’s disease and help maintain good cardiovascular health.
Traditionally, in Bengali Bati Chorchori, all the ingredients, spices and a little water are mixed together in a ‘Bati’ or bowl and cooked covered on low heat so that all the the flavors of the different ingredients are nicely blended and lend a delicious taste to the dish. Mustard oil is the main ingredient of Chingri chorchori recipe and it gives a sharp flavour to the classic dish.
However, I tweaked the original recipe slightly to suit my palate.
1. To make this mouth-watering Bengali prawn preparation, clean the prawns and sprinkle some turmeric, salt and chilli powder on them. Keep aside for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, chop the onions and potatoes and slit the green chilli.
3. After 10 minutes, heat oil in a pan and lightly sauté the chingri maach (prawns). Remove and keep aside.
4. Temper the oil with panch phoron. Add onions and green chilli. Saute.
5. Put in the cubed potatoes and mix well.
6. Tip in the prawns, add turmeric, salt and chilli powder. Add a little water and cook covered till the chingri bati chorchori is done.
7. Drizzle a little mustard oil and remove bati chingri. Serve Chingri Macher Bati Chorchori with steamed rice and Masoor Dal.
Chingri Macher Bati Chorchori Recipe details:
- Prawns – 12 medium-sized, deveined
- Onion – 2 medium, finely chopped
- Green Chilli – 1, slit
- Potato – 1 large, cubed
- Panch Phoron (optional) – 1 tsp
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- White Oil – 3 tbsp
- Mustard oil – 1 tsp
- Water – ¾ cup, or as required
- Clean, wash and devein the prawns. Sprinkle salt, turmeric and chilli powder over them, mix well and leave aside for 10 mins.
- Meanwhile, chop the onions, slit the chilli, peel and cube the potato.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a kadai. Toss in the prawns, lightly fry them for a minute or two and remove.
- Add the panch phoron. Allow to splutter.
- Put in the chopped onions and chilli and sauté for a minute.
- Add the potato cubes, mix well, put in the prawns, add turmeric, chilli powder and salt, add some water, cover and cook on a medium flame till the prawns are done and the potatoes are nicely cooked.
- Drizzle some mustard oil and remove.
- Serve Chingri Macher Baati Chorchori with steaming hot rice.
* 1-2 tsp of mustard paste can also be mixed in to the dish to give it a more authentic flavour.