Karela Chips Indian style are nice and crunchy and perfect as a snack or as a side dish with plain rice and dal. Homemade crispy bitter gourd chips fried to perfection are tasty and nutritious minus the bitterness.
Bitter melon for diabetes type 2 management is promising. Karela (bitter gourd/ bitter melon) helps lower blood sugar levels in diabetics. Bitter melon is an excellent blood purifier, helps cleanse the liver, good for digestion and your skin by flushing out toxins. Bitter Melon for weight loss is highly effective.
Crispy Karela Chips Indian Recipe Step By Step:
Crispy and delicious fried Karela Chips are full of the natural goodness of bitter melon. Golden-fried, crunchy and healthy Bitter Melon Chips is a great way to make kids eat the bitter vegetable. Try out these Indian bitter melon recipes.
How to make Crunchy Karela Chips:
1. To make karele ke chips, wash the raw bitter gourds and pat dry. Slice off both ends and then cut the bitter gourds into thin rings.
2. Mix together besan, rice flour, turmeric, red chilli powder, salt and hing. Toss the raw bitter melon slices in this dry mixture and coat well. (You can transfer the fresh karela slices into a Ziploc bag, sprinkle the dry mixture over the pieces and shake the bag well so that the slices are uniformly coated.)
3. Heat oil in a deep-frying pan. Add the bitter gourd slices, a little at a time, and fry till they turn golden-brown and crispy. Remove seasoned and crunchy bitter gourd chips with a slotted spoon onto paper towels.
4. Serve crispy fried Indian Karela Chips with Rice and Dal or munch on them as a snack. You can also store deep-fried Bitter Gourd Chips in an air-tight container.
If you are looking for more bitter melon recipes, do try out bitter gourd and bell peppers.
Karela Fries Recipe details:
- Karelas – 4, small
- Chickpea Flour (Besan) – 2 tbsp
- Rice Flour – 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Chilli Powder – ⅛ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ⅛ tsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Oil for deep frying
- For this Indian bitter melon recipe, wash and slice fresh bitter melon into roundels. Pat dry.
- In a mixing bowl, add chickpea flour, rice flour, chilli powder, salt, turmeric powder and asafoetida. Mix well and drop the karela slices into the mixture. Ensure the slices are well coated with the mixture.
- Heat oil for deep frying in a pan. Drop the seasoned bitter gourd slices in small batches into the hot oil. Fry to a nice crispy brown. Remove with a slotted spoon onto a paper napkin.
- Enjoy crunchy Indian Karela Chips with Rice and Dal or store them in an air-tight container and use within 2-3 days.
* To reduce the bitterness of karelas, put the bitter melon slices in a bowl and sprinkle some salt over them. Toss well and keep aside for 15 minutes. The salt tends to reduce the bitterness of the karelas and also helps remove the moisture. Squeeze out the moisture from the slices.