Kurkuri Bhindi is a sure deep-fried delight. Okra coated with tangy spices and crisp fried to a crunchy golden brown is pure bliss! Besanwali Bhindi (okra tossed in spiced gram flour) pairs well with Rice and Moong Dal. Or, you can serve it as a tea time snack or appetizer.
Bhindi or lady’s finger is something one either loves or hates. There’s no grey territory here. I have a weakness for lady’s finger and I always like a bowl of this deep-fried vegetable on the table.
Punjabi Kurkuri Bhindi Recipe:
Crispy Bhindi fry is an authentic Punjabi dish where okra slices are dredged in dry spices and gram flour and fried to golden brown perfection. I love fresh tender okra especially when it’s transformed into this crispy fry delicious dish. Bhindi in Hindi means okra or lady’s finger and Kurkuri means crisp.
This Indian bhindi recipe is a pure vegetarian dish and the mix of spices adds flavour and crunch. There’s no slimy mess to deal with, and the dry crunchy vegetarian dish can be served as a side with your meal or eaten as a snack.
Rice flour mixed with besan (gram flour) gives a light, airy crispness to the bhindis.
How to make crispy kurkuri bhindi:
To make home-made fried okra, wash the okra well and pat dry. Cut the ends and slice the okra vertically and then halve them (about 1 ½ inches or so in length). Slitting the bhindi into slivers ensures they get crispy fried and retain their crunch.
Place the slit bhindis in a bowl and sprinkle the spices – salt, turmeric, cumin, coriander, amchur and red chilli powder. Toss the ladies fingers well until evenly coated and keep aside for 5 minutes.
Add besan and rice flour to the seasoned okra pieces and mix well.
Stir in ½ tsp of oil. Keep the spice-coated ladies fingers aside for 10 minutes.
Heat oil for deep-frying in a kadai. Drop the okra in batches and fry to a golden brown over medium heat.
Remove spicy, crispy okra onto absorbent paper.
Serve Punjabi Kurkuri Bhindi with rice and dal.
Crispy Okra Fry Recipe details below:
- Okra/Bhindi/Ladies fingers – 12
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Cumin powder - ¼ tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Red chilli powder - ½ tsp
- Dry Mango powder (Amchur powder) – ¼ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ⅛ tsp
- Oil – ½ tsp
- Rice flour – ½ tbsp
- Chickpea flour (Besan) – 1 tbsp
- Oil for deep frying
- To make spicy crispy okra, wash the bhindis well and dry them out. There shouldn’t be any moisture on them. Cut the tops and tails of okra. Slice them up lengthwise and cut into half.
- Place the sliced okra in a bowl and add the dry spice powders - salt, chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and dry mango powder. Coat the bhindis with the spices and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Mix in chickpea flour and rice flour. Add ½ tsp of oil and mix all the ingredients together for even distribution. Keep the okra slivers aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat a kadai with sufficient oil for deep frying. Gently drop the ladies fingers into the hot oil. Fry okra in batches. Once they are roasted a crisp brown, remove them with a slotted spoon onto a paper napkin.
- Serve hot and crunchy Besan Bhindi Fry with rice and dal. Or just enjoy them plain with some tomato ketchup!