Matar Baingan Bhujia – a delightful combination of fresh green peas and soft, juicy eggplant makes for a comforting dish. My kitchen is most times stocked with eggplants – those versatile purple vegetables that play a major role in my culinary escapades.
Matar Baingan Bhujia is a flavoursome vegetarian recipe that’s fairly simple to make. I love the contrast between the veggies – the brilliant purple eggplant, cooked all nice and soft, while the fresh peas are a juicy green. Enjoy this peas and brinjal dish with rice and dal.
Matar Baingan Bhujia Step By Step:
Eggplant Peas Masala is a simple but delicious dish with soft, tender baingan and bright green peas. You can devour Baingan Matar smothered with some Indian bread or mix it generously with hot rice. Flavour-packed and nutrition-rich Vankaya Batani Koora is a family favorite.
How to make matar baingan bhujia ki sabzi:
For this healthy eggplant and peas Indian recipe, chop brinjals and keep in water.
Chop onion, tomato, chilli, garlic and coriander leaves.
Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add chopped onions, green chilli and minced garlic; sauté till the onions turn soft and translucent.
Tip in the chopped tomato, mix well. Add chopped eggplant and stir.
Add the spices – salt, turmeric, coriander powder and chilli powder. Combine well, coating the aubergine pieces with the spices. Cover and allow the eggplant to cook through, stirring occasionally to prevent it from sticking to the pan.
Add sambhar powder and green peas.
Stir well, mix it around with spices and cook the peas and brinjal for a minute or two.
Sprinkle some finely chopped coriander leaves and take it off the heat. Leave the lid on the Baingan Matar Masala dish to allow all the delicious flavours to mingle.
Serve Andhra Matar Baingan Bhujia with hot Rotis or with steamed rice and dal.
Vankaya Batani Recipe details below:
- Brinjal – 1 medium, chopped
- Onion – 1 medium, chopped
- Green chilli – 1 chopped
- Garlic – ½ tsp chopped
- Tomato – 1 medium, chopped
- Turmeric – ½ tsp
- Chilli powder -1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1tsp
- Salt to taste
- Peas – ⅓ cup
- Coriander leaves – 1 tsp
- Sambhar powder (optional) – ½ tsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- To make spiced eggplant with green peas, wash and cut brinjals into small cubes. Immerse in water to prevent the eggplant pieces from turning black. Chop onion and green chill finely. Mince garlic.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Toss in chopped onions, green chilli and garlic. Saute till the onions start to brown.
- Add the tomato and stir.
- Add the chopped brinjal, salt, turmeric, chilli powder and coriander powder. Combine well.
- Cook covered till the brinjals are almost done. Add the green peas and sambhar powder, mix well and cook the Matar Baingan for 1-2 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve Matar Baingan Bhujia with paranthas, or white rice and yellow dal.
Small potato cubes can be tossed in for variation