The health benefits of eggplant (brinjal) include lowering ‘bad cholesterol’, managing and controlling diabetes and weight-control. Eggplants are low in calories and high in dietary fiber.
Shorshe Doi Begun Bengali Recipe:
Bengali Shorshe diya Begun is a delicacy where fried brinjal slices are cooked in a rich and creamy poppy-seeds-mustard-yogurt gravy. Poppy seeds paste (posto bata) and mustard paste (shorshe bata) give a unique flavor to the dish. Blend in some doi (yogurt) and the doi begun with posto shorshe sauce magically transforms into something really amazing! You can check out these delicious eggplant recipes!
How to make Bengali shorshe doi begun:
1. To make Begun Shorshe or eggplant curry in a creamy mustard gravy, wash and slice the brinjal into long strips. Smear the brinjal slices with salt and turmeric and leave aside.
2. In a mixing bowl, add mustard paste, poppy-seeds paste, salt, sugar, turmeric powder and beaten curd. Blend well and set aside.
3. Heat mustard oil in a pan. Fry the brinjal slices till slightly browned and remove onto a tissue paper.
4. Heat 1 tsp of fresh mustard oil in another pan and temper the oil with nigella seeds. Tip in the shorshe-posto-doi paste and sauté for a couple of minutes, till the oil starts to separate.
5. Add salt and a cup of water and let it simmer till you get a nice thick saucy consistency.
6. Add the fried brinjals and let it simmer for 1-2 minutes till the slices get well coated with the mustard-yogurt sauce. Add a teaspoon of mustard oil on top.
6. Garnish Posto Shorshe Begun with freshly chopped coriander. Turn off the gas and let the brinjal slices soak in the rich gravy.
7. Serve Bengali Shorshe Doi Begun or eggplant in mustard-yogurt sauce with steamed rice.
Shorshe Begun Recipe details below:
- Brinjals/Eggplant – 1 large
- Mustard powder – 2 tbsp
- Poppy seeds – 1 tbsp, ground
- Green chilli - 2
- Curd – 2 tbsp, well-beaten
- Salt – to taste
- Sugar - ⅛ tsp
- Turmeric – ¼ tsp
- Mustard Oil – 1 tsp + for deep frying
- Nigella seeds (kalonji) – ½ tsp
- Coriander leaves to garnish
- Wash and cut the eggplant lengthwise. Sprinkle a pinch of salt and turmeric over the slices and keep aside.
- Add a pinch of salt to the mustard powder and make a paste with a little water.
- Grind poppy seeds to paste along with green chilli.
- In a mixing bowl blend together mustard paste, poppy seeds paste, well-whipped curd, salt, sugar and turmeric.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Add the brinjal pieces and fry to a golden brown. Remove onto a paper napkin.
- Heat about 1 tsp of fresh mustard oil in another pan.
- Add kalonji and once it starts to pop, add the ground paste. Allow it to simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of water and salt to taste. Bring it to a boil and then let it cook still the gravy starts to thicken.
- Slide in the fried eggplant slices and simmer for a minute. Drizzle some mustard oil on top. Garnish with coriander leaves. Turn off the gas, cover with a lid and allow the eggplant slices to soak in the gravy.
- Serve Shorshe Doi Begun with steamed rice.
* You can add a pinch of sugar to the ground paste.