Breadfruit Curry is a delicious Kerala preparation of succulent breadfruit pieces simmered in an aromatic and spicy gravy. Kadachakka Masala Curry Kerala style (without coconut milk) goes well as a side dish with hot rice.
Breadfruit is a tropical plant that’s rich in dietary fiber and it’s an excellent source of potassium and Vitamin C. It is known to control cholesterol, lower blood pressure and protect against heart disease.
Kerala Breadfruit Curry Recipe:
Sheemachakka Masala Curry Recipe is a yummy Kerala vegetarian dish that goes well with Rice or Appams.
How to make Breadfruit Curry:
1. For the Kerala Breadfruit Curry, wash the breadfruit and cut into small cubes. Keep immersed in a bowl of water to prevent the breadfruit from changing colour.
2. Quarter the shallots and chop the ginger and garlic. Wash and pick the curry leaves. Pressure cook the kadachakka pieces with a pinch of salt and turmeric till soft.
3. Heat a pan and roast the coconut, red chillies and about 2-3 cut shallots.
4. Cool and grind the roasted mixture. Keep aside.
5. Heat oil in a pan and season with mustard seeds. Toss in curry leaves, ginger, garlic and shallot pieces. Saute.
6. Add the boiled breadfruit and the ground mixture. Mix well. Add garam masala, coriander powder and stir well. Check for salt.
7. Add sufficient water and cook the breadfruit curry covered for about 7-8 minutes.
8. Remove and serve Kadachakka Masala Kerala style with steamed rice or Appam.
Breadfruit Curry Kerala Recipe details:
- Breadfruit- 1 medium size
- Shallots - 7-8
- Ginger - 1 inch piece (finely chopped)
- Garlic- 2-3 pods (finely chopped)
- Grated coconut- 1 cup
- Dry red chilies- 4-5
- Curry leaves - 3-4
- Coriander powder - 2 ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder - ½ tsp
- Garam masala - ½ tsp
- Mustard seeds - ½ tsp
- Oil- 1-2 tsp
- Curry leaves - 4-5
- Salt to taste
- To make breadfruit curry, remove the skin and cut the bread fruit into small cubes. (It is a good idea to oil your knife and hands before you cut the breadfruit as it may be slightly sticky).
- The cubes may turn light brown in colour on exposure to air, so it is better to put them in bowl of water.
- Pressure-cook the breadfruit cubes with turmeric and salt for about 10 minutes on a medium flame.
- Roast the grated coconut, 2-3 shallots cut in four and red chillies until the coconut turns dark brown.
- Keep this aside to cool for about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a pan, pour about 1 teaspoon oil and add ½ teaspoon mustard seeds.
- After the mustard seeds splutter, sauté the rest of the shallots (cut into four pieces each), curry leaves and finely chopped ginger and garlic.
- Grind the roasted mixture into a thick masala paste.
- Add cooked breadfruit and the ground masala paste into the pan.
- Add water as required.
- Add ½ teaspoon of garam masala and 2 ½ tsp of coriander powder and cook with lid closed for about 7-8 minutes.
- Season with curry leaves and serve Kerala Kadachakka Masala Curry with rice or chapathi.