Nuvvula Annam or sesame flavoured rice is a healthy rice recipe with toasted white sesame seeds, peanuts, red chillies, coconut and spices, ground coarsely and mixed with cooked rice. Sesame fried rice is pure comfort in a bowl, perfect for a simple lunch!
Tired of having regular white rice? Well add a little more pizazz to boring plain rice with sesame seeds flavoured rice.
Nuvvula Annam is called Ellu Sadam in Tamil. This South Indian sesame rice recipe is a great lunch box idea. The flavour of rice with the roasted sesame spice powder is so very tantalizing! Nuvvula Annam is a nice and healthy way to have rice.
Sesame seeds add a wonderful flavour to any dish. Using sesame seeds with rice makes for an aromatic and healthy rice dish. I love sesame rice for its earthy flavour and nice, crunchy taste.
If you have sesame seeds at home, this Nuvvulu Rice or sesame seeds rice can be prepared effortlessly. This variety rice recipe with sesame seeds comes in handy when you’ve got no veggies at home. Sesame flavoured rice is great to have with Chinese cuisine.
The health benefits of sesame seeds are numerous – they naturally lower bad cholesterol, improve blood pressure, protect heart health, fight cancer, burn fat and balance hormones. Whew! There’s a lot that these tiny little seeds can do!
Nuvvula Annam Recipe:
I recently discovered the benefits of this superfood Nuvvulu or sesame seeds and now it’s become my favourite ingredient. Today, I’ve made rice flavoured with sesame seeds and it turned out deliciously different, packed with South Indian flavours. The crunchy, nutty taste of toasted sesame seeds comes through in this Indian rice recipe.
If you’ve got leftover rice, you can prepare this nuvvula annam in a jiffy. Otherwise, just cook some white rice and keep aside to cool down. Meanwhile get all the ingredients ready.
How to make Andhra Nuvvula Annam:
To make Nuvvulu Annam, dry roast white sesame seeds in a clean pan until nicely browned, taking care not to burn them. Remove and keep aside.
Add peanuts to the same pan and dry roast for 30 seconds. Add dry red chillies, peppercorns, chana dal and urad dal. Roast to a nice brown, while stirring constantly.
Add grated coconut to the pan and fry on a low flame for 30 seconds. Remove the pan from heat and set aside to cool.
Grind all the roasted ingredients, including sesame seeds to a slightly coarse powder. Set aside the nuvvula podi (sesame seeds powder).
Heat oil in a frying pan for tempering. Add the mustard and cumin seeds. Once they pop, add curry leaves, green chillies and asafoetida. Fry for 30 seconds.
Add the peanuts and fry on a medium flame till a golden brown.
Add the ground sesame seeds powder. Mix well and sauté for a minute.
Put in the cooked rice and salt. Gently mix the rice with sesame seeds powder.
Sesame Seeds Rice Recipe details below:
- Cooked Rice – 2 cups
- Nuvvulu/Sesame seeds – ¼ cup
- Chana dal (Bengal gram) – 1 tbsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Dry red chillies – 4
- Grated coconut – 2 tbsp
- Whole peppercorns – ½ tsp
- Peanuts - 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Green chillies – 2
- Peanuts – 1 tbsp
- Asafoetida – ⅛ tsp
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Keep cooked or leftover rice aside.
- Heat a clean kadai and dry roast sesame seeds on low-medium heat till uniformly brown, while stirring all the time. Remove and keep aside to cool.
- To the same pan, add dry red chillies, peppercorns, chana dal, urad dal, peanuts and coconut and dry roast on a slow flame till a nice aroma rises.
- Cool the mixture and dry grind along with sesame seeds to a slightly coarse powder. Keep the sesame podi (powder) aside.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add mustard and cumin seeds and allow them to pop. Put in the curry leaves, green chillies and hing. Sauté for half-a-minute.
- Add the peanuts and fry to a warm brown.
- Stir in the ground sesame podi. Saute for a minute.
- Put in the cooked rice. Sprinkle salt to taste.
- Combine the rice with nuvvula podi. Once all the ingredients are mixed well and heated through, remove the pan from heat.
- Transfer the Nuvvula Podi Annam into a serving bowl.
- Serve Sesame Rice with raita and fryums/papads.