Curd rice, also called Perugu Annam or Daddojanam (Telugu), Thayir Sadam (Tamil), and Mosaranna (Kanadda), is a pure South Indian comfort food. In its simplest form, cooked rice is mixed with curd and a pinch of salt. In South Indian homes, perugu annam is had at the end of every meal primarily to aid digestion and to wash down the effects of heavy spicy food. Dahi bhaat is healthy and cooling.
A slightly more elaborate way to make this rice dish is to mix soft cooked rice with unsweetened yogurt, grated cucumber, grated carrot, milk, salt and temper with a seasoning of ginger, chillies, curry leaves, mustard, cumin, Bengal gram, urad dal and hing. The dahi rice is garnished with pomegranate seeds, fried cashews and chopped coriander. It can be served warm or cold with some Indian pickle as an accompaniment.
Whichever style it is served, curd rice is delicious. You can make seasoned yogurt rice with leftover rice too; if you’re plagued with a lot of cooked rice occupying space in your refrigerator, this simple rice recipe comes in handy.
Andhra Curd Rice Recipe Step By Step:
Curd rice tadka is a refreshing and filling summertime dish. Making daddojanam with milk is a breeze! Anyone can master this South Indian curd rice recipe and enjoy. This is my favourite spiced yogurt rice Indian recipe! I just love all the ingredients, the flavours and the colours in this rice and yogurt dish.
How to make Andhra perugu annam curd rice:
For this curd rice tadka recipe, wash, peel, and grate ½ a small cucumber and carrot. Chop coriander leaves finely. Grate ginger. Peel and de-seed the pomegranate. Warm the milk and keep side.
Take 2 cups of cooked rice in a bowl. Lightly mash the rice with the back of a ladle.
In another bowl, take 1 cup of fresh dahi, add a little salt and whisk well.
Pour the curd over the cooked rice and mix well.
Add grated carrot, grated cucumber and 1 tablespoon of fresh pomegranate seeds.
Mix dahi chawal and grated veggies/pomegranate seeds together.
Stir in ¼ cup of milk.
Heat oil in a pan. Halve the cashew nuts; toss them into the pan and fry till they turn golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and keep aside.
Add chana dal, urad dal to the frying pan and sauté for 20 seconds. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and sauté for 10 seconds.
Add curry leaves, dry red chillies, asafoetida and grated ginger. Sauté till the raw smell of ginger disappears.
Remove and pour the tadka over the Daddojanam.
Mix well. Adjust salt.
Top dahi rice tadka with crunchy cashew nuts, fresh coriander leaves and juicy pomegranates kernels.
Serve delicious Curd Rice chilled or at room temperature with Indian pickle.
Perugu Daddojanam Recipe details:
- Cooked rice – 2 cups
- Fresh curd – 1 cup
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Milk – ¼ cup
- Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp, chopped
- Cucumber – ⅛th cup, grated
- Carrot – ⅛th cup, grated
- Pomegranate seeds – 1 ½ tbsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Urad dal – ½ tsp
- Chana dal – ½ tsp
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Cumin seeds – ¼ tsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Ginger – ¼ tsp grated
- Cashew nuts – 4, halved
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Dry red chillies – 2-3
- For Daddojanam recipe Andhra style, wash, peel and grate cucumber and carrot. Finely chop coriander leaves. Grate ginger. Cut and de-seed the pomegranate.
- Warm milk and keep aside.
- Take 2 cups soft cooked rice in a bowl.
- In another bowl, add salt to fresh yogurt and whisk well.
- Add the curd to the rice and mix well.
- Mix in grated cucumber, carrot and one tablespoon of pomegranate kernels. Add ¼ cup of milk and combine well.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Fry cashewnuts and remove.
- Add Bengal gram, black gram, mustard seeds and cumin seeds.Once they start to sizzle, add dry red chilies and curry leaves. Sauté.
- Add grated ginger and hing and sauté for a minute. Turn off the gas and pour the tempering over the curd rice. Gently mix everything together.
- Garnish with chopped coriander, fried cashewnuts and ½ tbsp. of pomegranate seeds.
- Enjoy yogurt rice served warm or cold with lemon, mango or mixed vegetable pickle.
*If the dahi chawal consistency is very thick, mix in a little water or milk to get the desired consistency.
*Before adding curd to rice, you can add a tablespoon of butter to warm rice and mix well.
*You can use ghee instead of oil for tadka.
*You can add raw mango pieces to, seedless grapes, raisins, apple or pineapple pieces to curd rice.