Tomato Rice Andhra style is a simple rice recipe, tangy and full of flavour. South Indian Tomato Fried Rice makes for a great one dish meal.
Tomatoes are loaded with nutrients and antioxidants and they are excellent sources of Vitamin A, Vitamin C and folic acid. Tomatoes are good for digestion, eyesight and prevent diabetes, urinary tract infections and skin problems.
Andhra Onion Tomato Rice Recipe:
Easy Andhra Tomato Rice Recipe is a delicious vegetarian rice dish made with fresh, juicy tomatoes. A few simple ingredients turn plain rice into something attractive, flavourful and yummy!
How to make spicy tomato rice:
1. To make Tomato Masala Rice, cook plain rice and keep aside – you can also use leftover rice.
2. Finely slice onion, chop tomato, coriander leaves; grate the ginger and slice the green chilli into two. Wash and pick the curry leaves.
3. Heat oil in a kadai and toss in chana dal and urad dal. Saute till they change colour. Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds and allow to sizzle.
4. Add red chillies, slit green chilli, curry leaves, grated ginger, chopped onion and sauté well. Cook till the onions turn translucent.
5. Put in the chopped tomatoes, add a pinch of asafoetida and cook till the tomatoes turn mushy.
6. Sprinkle salt, turmeric, red chilli powder and just a wee bit of garam masala powder. Mix well and cook for 1-2 minutes.
7. Add the cooked rice and toss well.
8. Remove and serve spicy Tomato Rice garnished with coriander leaves.
Spiced Tomato Rice Recipe details:
- Cooked Rice – 4 cups you can use leftover rice
- Onion – 1 medium chopped
- Curry Leaves – 2 sprigs
- Ginger – ½ inch grated
- Coriander leaves chopped – 1 tbsp
- Dry Red Chillies – 4
- Green Chilli – 1 slit
- Tomatoes – 4 medium chopped
- Cumin seeds – ¼ tsp
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Urad Dal Split Black Gram– ½ tsp
- Chana Dal Bengal Gram – ½ tsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Red chilli powder – ¼ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Garam masala powder – 1/8th tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil/ghee – 3 tbsp
Boil the rice and keep aside.
Slice the onions, tomatoes, chop coriander leaves. Grate the ginger and slit the green chilli. Wash and pick curry leaves.
Heat oil in a deep pan. Season the oil with urad dal and chana dal. Toss in mustard seeds and cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
Add the curry leaves, broken dry red chillies, green chilli, grated ginger and sauté.
Add the chopped onions and fry till they turn pink.
Tip in the chopped tomatoes, add hing and cook on low-medium heat till the tomatoes turn pulpy and the oil starts to ooze from the sides.
Add the dry spice powders – turmeric, red chilli powder, garam masala and salt. Mix well and cook for 1-2 minutes.
Add the cooked rice and mix gently. Garnish rice and tomatoes with chopped coriander leaves and remove.
Serve Tomato Rice with Raita and papads.