Chole Pulao is definitely an Indian rice dish you should get to know. Isn’t it wonderful how you can create new and interesting dishes just by putting together everyday ingredients in a unique way?! Chole Pulao or Kabuli Chana Pulao made with chickpeas and rice is simple, nourishing and full of fresh flavours.
Chickpeas or garbanzo beans are called Kabuli Chana or Chole (pronounced chho-lay) in Hindi. Chickpeas are packed with protein, zinc and folic acid
Chickpeas and Rice is a great meatless option and nice way to use chickpeas in your cooking. So if you’ve got some chickpeas/kabuli chana just waiting to be used, then this vegetarian rice recipe is for you.
Chole Pulao Recipe:
Rice with chickpeas is just awesome comfort food – so flavourful and delicious! I love anything with chickpeas in it and chickpeas and rice are an amazing combination.
How to make chole pulao:
To make Chole Pulao, wash and soak kabuli chana overnight. Next day, drain the water, wash well and pressure cook the kabuli chana with a pinch of salt till tender. Drain and keep aside.
Wash the rice well till the water runs clear, then soak the rice in water for 30 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
Grind ½ cup grated coconut with 3-4 green chillies to a smooth paste, adding very little water. Set aside.
Heat oil in a pressure cooker over medium heat. Add the bay leaves, cinnamon, cardamom and cloves. Once they sizzle, add the sliced onions and fry till they start to brown.
Add the ginger garlic paste and saute for 1/2 minute. Tip in the chopped tomatoes and cook till they turn soft.
Sprinkle garam masala powder and biryani masala powder (optional). You can also use chole masala. Mix well.
Add the ground coconut-chilli paste and sauté for 1/2 a minute.
Add the cooked kabuli chana and stir for 1 minute.
Stir in the soaked and drained rice. Combine well till the rice is nicely coated with the masalas.
Pour in 3 cups of water. Add salt, lemon juice and half the coriander leaves. Stir all the ingredients well.
Put the pressure cooker lid on and cook for 1 high whistle and 1 low whistle or until rice is cooked.
Once, steam, releases, fluff rice with a fork. Garnish with the remaining chopped coriander leaves.
Kabuli Chana Pulao Recipe details below:
- Kabuli Chana – 1 cup, cooked
- Rice – 1 ½ cups
- Bay leaf – 2
- Cinnamon – 1 inch stick
- Cardamom – 6
- Cloves -6
- Onion – 2 medium, sliced
- Tomato – 1 large, chopped
- Green chillies – 4
- Grated coconut – ½ cup
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Garam masala powder – ¾ tsp
- Biriyani masala powder (optional) – ¾ tsp
- Salt – 1 ½ tsp
- Lemon juice – ½ tsp
- Oil – 3 tbsp
- Water – 3 cups
- Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp chopped
- Soak kabuli chana overnight in sufficient water. Drain out the water the next day, wash well and cook the kabuli chana with a pinch of salt till tender. Drain and keep the chole aside.
- Take 1 ½ cups of rice, wash and soak it in water for half an hour. Drain out the water and keep the rice aside.
- Put grated coconut and 3-4 green chillies in a mixie jar and grind to a smooth paste with a little water. Keep aside.
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in a pressure cooker and put in the whole garam masala - bay leaf, cinnamon, cardamom and cloves. Once they start to splutter, add the sliced onions and fry till they start to brown.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes away.
- Put in the chopped tomatoes and fry till they turn mushy.
- Sprinkle garam masala powder and biryani masala. Mix well.
- Add the ground paste and fry for 30 secs.
- Add the cooked kabuli chana and sauté for one minute.
- Mix in the rice. Stir gently for ½ minute.
- Pour 3 cups of water; add the salt, lemon juice and ½ the coriander leaves. Mix all the ingredients well.
- Put the lid on and cook for 1 high whistle and 1 low whistle or until the rice is cooked.
- Once the pressure releases, remove the lid and gently fluff the rice with a fork. Garnish with the reserved coriander leaves.
- Serve Kabuli Chana Pulao with cucumber raita and Chicken Curry.