Chickpea salad is a heart-warming vegan salad that’s both gluten-free and dairy-free. I love chickpeas or garbanzo beans and this salad with chickpeas, makes for a lovely summer side dish. The flavours mesh really well and you have an awesome, protein-packed healthy salad in minutes.
Garbanzo beans, also called chickpeas or kabuli chana, are an excellent source of protein and dietary fiber. Garbanzos also contain very high levels of iron, magnesium and vitamin B-6. Garbanzo bean health benefits include managing blood sugar levels, improving digestion, aiding in weight loss and protecting against cancer and heart disease.
Garbanzo bean salad is easy to assemble and makes for a tasty addition to the buffet table. Filled with healthy ingredients like garbanzos, tomatoes, onion, garlic, herbs and a light lemon, olive oil and vinegar dressing, garbanzo bean salad is simple yet incredibly hearty and so satisfying.
Easy Chickpea Salad Recipe:
This yummy, fresh tasting salad with garbanzo beans is a really delicious and colourful salad. The low-fat, high-protein dish is just the kind of salad I love! So healthy, fresh, delicious and very enjoyable! You can use either fresh or canned chickpeas.
Soak chickpeas in water overnight or for a minimum of 8 hours. Drain, rinse well and pressure-cook the chickpeas in enough water till soft. Drain the water and keep the chickpeas aside. You can also use canned garbanzo beans. In that case, drain and rinse the garbanzos, and set aside till needed.
Chop the onion, tomato and coriander leaves. Mince the garlic.
Combine freshly cooked and drained chick peas with chopped onion, tomato, garlic, red chilli flakes and coriander in a medium bowl.
Sprinkle salt and freshly ground black pepper and mix well.
Drizzle olive oil, lime juice and a splash of vinegar. Toss everything to combine.
Taste the chickpea and tomato salad; adjust seasoning if required.
Serve Summer Chickpea Salad fresh or chilled as a side dish or on a bed of vibrant greens.
If you are looking for more garbanzo bean recipes, do try out Chole Pulao.
Vegetarian Chickpea Salad:
- Chickpeas, cooked – 1½ cups
- Onion – 1 medium, chopped
- Garlic cloves – 2, minced
- Tomato – 1 medium, chopped
- Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp, chopped
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Black Pepper – ½ tsp
- Chilli flakes – 1 tsp
- Olive oil – 1 ½ tsp
- Vinegar – ¼ tsp
- Lime juice – ½ tsp
- For summer garbanzo salad with lemon dressing, soak dried chickpeas overnight and cook them till tender or you can use canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained.
- Cut up onion, tomato and coriander; mince garlic finely.
- Take a bowl and toss in the chickpeas, chopped onion, freshly-cut tomato, minced garlic, chilli flakes and coriander leaves.
- Add a dash of vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice
- Season chickpea vegetable salad with salt and black pepper; toss gently to blend all ingredients well.
- Serve freshly made Tomato Chickpea Salad as a side dish with Grilled chicken or grilled fish.
* You can store leftovers for 3-4 days in the refrigerator. Before serving, squeeze some lemon juice to freshen up leftovers.