Rava Idli – a simple and equally yummy version of idlis made with roasted Rava or Semolina. Perfectly made Instant Suji Idli requires no fermenting – quick, simple and delicious. Soft and spongy Udupi Semolina Rava Idlis with Eno Fruit Salt are a Kannada specialty and very popular in Udupi Restaurants.
Suji or semolina has a low glycemic index and is good for diabetics or those looking for a weight loss food. Rava provides a lot of energy, being a low-fat, high-carb food.
Rava Idli Recipe Step By Step:
This roasted rava recipe is a popular Udupi dish. Instant Rava Idli With Eno goes well with peanut chutney or tomato chutney. Learn how to make suji idli.
How to make Instant Rava Idli:
1. To make Homemade Rava Idli, heat oil in a pan and roast the Rava (cream of wheat) till a light brown. Remove and cool.
2. Add some more oil to the pan and toss in cashew nuts. Fry till brown. Remove and keep aside. In the same oil stir in mustard seeds, chana dal, urad dal, asafoetida, curry leaves.
3. Remove and pour over the roasted rava.
4. Add finely chopped green chillies, ginger and cashew nuts to the rava mix.
5. Mix all the suji ki idli ingredients well.
6. Stir in sour curds and salt. Blend into a smooth-flowing batter by adding little water – it should be like idli batter consistency.
7. Keep the semolina idli batter aside for 20 minutes. Meanwhile grease the idli plates. Heat water in the steamer or idli cooker.
8. Mix in a teaspoon of Eno to the rava idli mix – small bubbles will start to form as you blend.
9. Pour spoonfuls of instant idli batter into the greased idli moulds and steam for 10 -15 minutes.
10. Insert a knife to check if the instant idlis are done – if it comes out clean, un-mould the rava idlis – otherwise steam for a few minutes more.
11. Serve soft and moist Homemade Rava Idli Udupi style with ghee and sambhar, tomato chutney or coconut chutney.
Instant Idli Recipe details below:
- Rava/Suji/Semolina – 1 cup
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Cashew nuts broken– 1 tbsp
- Chana Dal – 1 tsp
- Urad Dal – 1 tsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Curry Leaves – ¼ cup shredded
- Asafoetida – ¼ tsp
- Green Chilli – 1 finely chopped
- Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp finely chopped
- Ginger – ½ inch grated
- Sour Curd – ½ cup
- Salt – ¾ tsp
- Water – 1 cup approx
- ENO Fruit Salt – 1 tsp
- Ghee – ¾ tsp for greasing moulds
Soak chana dal and urad dal in water for 5 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan and roast the Rava/Semolina till it attains a light brown colour. Remove and cool.
Add 1 tbsp of oil to the pan and fry cashews till a golden brown. Remove. Add chana dal, urad dal, mustard seeds, curry leaves to the pan. Add asafoetida and sauté. Remove and add to roasted rava.
Add fried cashews to the mix along with coriander leaves, grated ginger, green chilli and salt. Mix well.
Add curd to the rava idli mix and combine well.
Add a little water at a time and blend to a smooth batter of pouring consistency. Keep aside for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile heat water in a steamer/pressure cooker. Grease the idli moulds.
Add 1 tsp of ENO fruit salt to the mixture. The rava idli batter becomes frothy. Immediately fill the idli moulds with the batter and steam for 15 minutes.
Allow instant idlis to cool and then unmould.
Serve Homemade Rava Idli hot with sambhar and coconut chutney or idli podi.
* You can use a pinch of baking Soda (about ½ tsp) in place of ENO Fruit Salt.
* You can add grated carrot, grated coconut to the rava idli mix