Kerala Broken Wheat Upma is a healthy and wholesome breakfast recipe made with cracked wheat or broken wheat. A popular breakfast recipe, cracked wheat dalia upma is both nutritious and filling. Who knew broken wheat upma could taste so good!
Kerala Broken Wheat Upma Recipe:
Broken Wheat Upma for diabetes is a quick, simple and nutritious dish. Wheat Dalia Upma or Gothambu Upma made with cracked wheat is a healthy breakfast option and goes well with fresh curd. A real delicious and healthy way to start your day.
Gothambu Upma Recipe details below:
- Broken wheat - 2 cups
- Water - 4 cups
- Onion - 1 (finely chopped)
- Greens chillies - 2-3
- Red chillies - 1-2
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Ground nuts - 8-10
- Chana dal - 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Curry leaves - 6-8
- Grated coconut – ½ cup
- Refined oil - 1-2 tsp
- Wash and drain the broken wheat. Add about ½ cup of water and let it soak for 30 minutes.
- Heat a pan and pour in the oil. Add mustard seeds and as they splutter add the groundnuts and chana dal and fry for about 2 minutes. The groundnuts and chana dal will turn brownish in colour after a while.
- Add the onion, slit green chillies and red chillies (broken into two halves) and sauté for about 3-4 minutes. Add salt while sautéing.
- Now add 4 cups of water and bring it to boil.
- Drain the broken wheat and add to the pan.
- Cook with closed lid for about 5 minutes, preferably on a medium flame.
- Add the grated coconut and curry leaves, stir the upma and cook until there is no water content.
- Don’t cook it for too long as the upma may become dry and stick to the pan.
- Serve Kerala style Broken Wheat Upma hot with pappadams and a hot cup of tea/coffee.
Recipe contributed by Anjali Rajan