Masala Dosa Recipe – crunchy crepes made with rice and black gram lentils wrapped around a yummy potato filling. South Indian Sada Dosa is crisp, savoury and absolutely delicious dosa recipe!
Crispy masala dosa bursting with potato stuffing is fairly easy to make at home. For an authentic Hotel Dosa recipe, you first have to make a Sada Dosa or Plain Dosa and fill it with alu masala.
Masala Dosa Recipe Indian Restaurant Style:
Masala Dosa is a delicious and popular South Indian breakfast dish. With a traditional potato filling, masal dosai makes an ideal vegetarian breakfast.
How to make South Indian masala dosa:
1. To make masala dosa South Indian style, wash and soak raw rice, whole urad dal and fenugreek seeds for 5-6 hours.
2. Drain, wash and grind the urad dal, rice and fenugreek seeds to a smooth batter, adding water a little at a time.
3. Transfer the sada dosa batter into a large bowl and mix well.
4. Keep the batter in a warm place to ferment overnight. The batter will rise in volume and will become light and fluffy.
5. Add salt and mix well. The dosa batter is now ready.
6. Heat a non stick pan and spread a ladle full of dosa batter in a circular motion with the back of the ladle. Allow to cook for a couple of seconds and then drizzle oil/ghee over the plain dosa.
7. When the edges start to peel, flip the dosa over and cook for a minute or two till both sides turn a crispy brown. Flip over once again, place 2-3 tbsp of the potato masala at the centre, fold the dosa.
8. Serve piping hot South Indian Masala Dosa with sambar and coconut chutney.
For making masala dosa filling:
1.Wash and halve the potatoes. Pressure cook till soft. Cool, peel the skin and keep aside.
2. Slice the onion, finely chop ginger and slit green chilli. Wash and chop coriander leaves. Wash and pick curry leaves.
3. Heat oil in a frying pan. Add mustard seeds and allow to crackle. Toss in the cumin seeds and sauté for a couple of seconds.
4. Add curry leaves, green chillies and grated ginger. Stir.
5 Add asafoetida and sliced onion and fry until the onions turn pink.
6. Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt. Mix well.
7. Add potatoes, combine well. Sprinkle a little water and ensure the potatoes are well coated with the masalas. Cook for a 1-2 minutes and remove.
8. Garnish potato curry with coriander leaves and use as filling for crispy rice and lentil crepes.
If you are looking for more best dosa recipes, do try out Moong Dal Dosa.
South Indian Masala Dosa Recipe details below:
- Raw rice – 3 cups
- Whole Urad Dal – 1 cup
- Fenugreek seeds – ½ tbsp
- Water as required
- Salt to taste
- Potatoes - 3 large
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Cumin seeds - ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Ginger - 1 tsp finely chopped
- Green chillies – 1 finely chopped
- Onion - 1 large sliced
- Red chilli powder- ¼ tsp
- Turmeric powder - ¼ tsp
- Water - as required
- Coriander leaves - 1 to 2 tbsp finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Oil – ½ tbsp
For preparing dosa, take raw rice, urad dal and methi seeds in a bowl and wash well. Soak for a minimum of 6 hours.
Grind the dal, rice and methi seeds to a fine paste, adding water as required to get a smooth batter. The dosa batter shouldn't be grainy.Add salt and mix well.
Remove into a container, cover with a loose-fitting lid and keep in a warm place to ferment overnight.The batter will rise and double in volume.
Heat a non-stick pan. Pour a spoonful of dosa batter on the tava and quickle spread the batter in a circular motion, using the back of a round ladle.
Allow the dosa to cook for half-a-minute and pour a little oil along the edges and on top of the dosa.
Flip the dosa over and let the other side cook, till the dosa turns a warm brown.
Turn over the dosa, spoon some potato masala in the centre, fold the dosa in half and remove onto a plate.
Serve Masala Dosa Andhra Style with chutney and sambhar.
Wash and halve potatoes. Pressure cook the potatoes till soft. Peel and keep aside.
Finely Slice onions, chop coriander leaves, grate the ginger and slit the green chilli. Wash and pick the curry leaves.
Heat oil in a wok/pan. Splutter mustard seeds. Add cumin seeds and sauté.
Toss in curry leaves, grated ginger and green chilli. Stir.
Add a pinch of asafoetida and sliced onions. Fry till the onions turn translucent.
Sprinkle salt, turmeric and red chilli powder.
Add boiled potatoes and mix well. Add a little water if required to to blend the masalas well. Cook for a minute or two and remove.
Sprinkle coriander leaves and use the potato sabzi as masala dosa filling.
* To enhance taste, use butter/ghee.
* To season pan, pour a few drops of oil on the pan and smear uniformly with a sliced onion.