Rava Upma is a wonderfully delicious and easy to make dish. Mixed Vegetable Rava upma is a popular South Indian breakfast preparation made from roasted semolina and a mix of veggies. South Indian semolina upma is best had with coconut chutney.
Rava Upma is highly nutritious and filling. Upma with vegetables not just tastes better but its nutrient value also increases.
Simple Rava Upma Recipe Step By Step:
1. To make Mixed Vegetable Rava Upma, finely chop onion, ginger, green chilli, tomato, carrot, capsicum and coriander leaves.
2. Heat a pan, roast the suji on medium heat till it turns slightly brown and remove.
3. Heat oil in a pan and season with mustard seeds, chana dal, urad dal, cumin seeds and curry leaves. Saute for 1-2 mins.
4. Add the chopped onions, ginger and green chilli. Fry for a minute. Tip in the chopped tomatoes, mix well and cook covered for 1-2 minutes.
5. Tip in the chopped carrot, capsicum and green peas. Combine well.
6. Add the required water and salt. Cover and cook till the water comes to a boil.
7. Remove the lid, lower the flame and slowly add the roasted rava whilst stirring all the time. Once the excess water evaporates, add fried cashewnuts and chopped coriander to Suji Upma.
8. Serve Andhra Mixed Vegetable Rava Upma with a dash of lemon juice.
Suji Upma Indian Breakfast Recipe details below:
- Semolina (Suji/Rava) – ½ cup
- Onions – 1 small
- Green Chilli – 1, slit
- Tomato – 1 medium
- Peas – ¼ cup
- Carrot – 1 small
- Capsicum – 1 small
- Ginger – ½ inch
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Coriander leaves – a handful
- Cashew nuts – ½ tbsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Ghee – 1 tsp
- Urad dal – ½ tsp
- Chana dal – ½ tsp
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Water – 1 – 1 ¼ cup
- Finely chop the onions, tomatoes, carrot, capsicum, green chilli, ginger and coriander leaves.
- Heat a pan and roast the suji on medium flame till it turns slightly brown. Remove.
- Add a tablespoon of oil in to the pan. Fry cashew nuts and remove.
- Add curry leaves, chana dal, urad dal, mustard seeds, cumin seeds. Allow to splutter.
- Add the chopped onions, green chilli and ginger. Fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Put in the chopped tomatoes and cook covered for 1-2 minutes till they turn soft.
- Add green peas, chopped carrot and capsicum. Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add salt and water and cook covered for 5 minutes.
- Remove lid and once the water comes to a boil, reduce the flame and slowly add the roasted suji, stirring constantly.
- Once all the water is absorbed, and the dish is almost dry, add the fried cashew nuts. Drizzle a teaspoon of ghee on top and switch off the stove. Cover and keep for 5 mins for all the flavours to be absorbed.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve Mixed Vegetable Rava Upma Andhra style with coconut chutney and a hot mug of filter coffee.
* Always add the roasted suji a little at a time to boiling water and keep stirring continuously to prevent lumps.
* A few drops of lemon juice can be sprinkled on top for added flavour.
* A pinch of turmeric can be added.
* Garnish with grated coconut.