Aloo Peyajkoli bhaja Bengali recipe is a simple vegetable stir fry dish prepared by sauteeing onion flower stalks and potatoes, with a sprinkling of poppy seeds for an extra crunch.
Peyajkoli, called Ulli Kadalu in Telugu, with its brilliant green colour, brightens up any dish. Aloo Peyajkolir Tarkari with gorom Ruti (Indian flatbread) tastes just heavenly in winters.
Onion flower stalks are not the same as green onions, spring onions or scallions. Onion stalks have sturdy stems with white buds at the top. The green stalks of onion have a nice crunch to them.
Onion flower stalks impart a lovely green colour, a nice juicy crunch and a mild flavour to dishes.
Bengali Aloo Peyajkoli Bhaja Step By Step:
Bengali Peyajkoli Aloo Bhaja is an interesting dish with bold colours and a balanced flavour. Stir fried onion stalks with its lovely texture is a winner. All in all, a great stir fry Indian recipe with minimal fuss.
To make Potato Onion Stalks stir fry, wash, peel and cut potatoes into 1 inch pieces. Wash and chop onion stalks (peyajkoli) into 1-inch pieces.
Heat a tablespoon of mustard oil in a pan. Sizzle onion seeds and a dry red chilli. Toss in the potatoes and sauté for a minute.
Add turmeric powder, mix well and cook covered on low-medium heat for 10-15 minutes.
Stir in-between. (If required, sprinkle a little water, although I didn’t).
When the potatoes are three-fourths done, mix in the peyajkoli.
Add the salt, stir well and cook for 5-7 minutes on low-medium flame. The peyajkoli will release some water and cooks fast.
Once the onion stalks soften slightly (they should retain a little crunch) and the potatoes are done, sprinkle some poppy seeds. Gently mix everything together.
Remove and serve delicious Aloo Peyajkoli Bhaja with plain rice, masoor dal with a slice of fresh Gondhoraj lebu. Aah, superb!
Aloo Pyaj Koli Bhaja Bengali Recipe details below:
- Peyajkoli (Onion stalks), chopped – 2 cups
- Potato – 3 medium, chopped
- Mustard oil – 1 tbsp
- Onion seeds (kalonji) – ¼ tsp
- Dry red chilli – 1
- Turmeric – ½ tsp
- Poppy seeds – 1 tsp
- Salt – ½ tsp
- For Aloo Peyaajkoli'r torkari, wash the onion flower stalks. Trim the tops and tails. Cut peyajkoli into 1 inch pieces.
- Wash and peel the potatoes. Cut them into I inch wedges.
- Heat oil in a pan and temper with kala jeera and a dry red chilli. Once the seeds start to pop, add the potatoes and sauté for a minute.
- Add turmeric, stir well, cover and cook on low-medium heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring in-between. Cook the potatoes till three-fourths done. Sprinkle a little water if required.
- Remove the lid and mix in the chopped onion stalks. Sprinkle salt and stir fry on medium heat till the onions stalks soften a tad.
- Sprinkle poppy seeds on top, mix everything together and turn off the gas.
- Serve Peyajkoli Bhaja with rice and dal or Chapathi.