Papaya Thoran Kerala style is a simple, light and delicious side dish that pairs well with steamed rice and dal. Papaya is called Kappalanga or Omakka in Malayalam. Thoran made with raw papaya or Kappalanga is bright, fresh and delightfully flavourful.
Pear-shaped vibrant green papayas have a white flesh, mild flavour and a crunchy texture. The versatile green papaya is widely used in savoury dishes. Papaya stir fry is my favourite preparation so far.
Green papaya protects against acne, pimples and skin infections. It helps reduce indigestion, constipation, heart burn and gastric problems.
Green Papaya Thoran Kerala Recipe:
Kappalanga Thoran or Omakka Thoran is a tasty and healthy side dish made with raw papaya. This thoran recipe has grated papaya stir fried with a spiced coconut mixture. It’s light, flavourful and easy to prepare.
How to make pacha papaya thoran:
To make Pacha Papaya Thoran, wash, peel and halve the green papaya. Remove the seeds. Grate the papaya and set aside.
Take grated coconut, half a small onion, garlic cloves, green chilli and cumin seeds in a mixie jar and grind without any water.
Ensure the mixture doesn’t become paste. Keep aside.
Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat and splutter mustard seeds. Add the remaining half of the chopped onion and sauté till it turns a light brown.
Tip in the grated papaya and sauté for a couple of minutes.
Sprinkle salt and turmeric powder and combine well.
Cover and cook on a low flame, stirring occasionally, till the raw papaya is tender, about 10 minutes.
Stir in the ground mixture and fresh curry leaves. Add red chilli powder and mix well.
Cook covered for 1-2 minutes, till the dish is almost dry.
Transfer Kapplanga Thoran into a serving dish.
Serve Kerala Green Papaya Thoran with rice and dal.
If you are looking for more green papaya recipes, do try out Green Papaya Chutney.
Stir Fried Papaya With Coconut Recipe details below:
- Raw papaya – 2 cups, grated
- Coconut – 3 tbsp, grated
- Onion – 1 small
- Green chilli – 1, slit
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Curry leaves – 10
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Chilli powder – ½ tsp
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- To make raw papaya stir fry with coconut, wash and peel the green papaya. Cut into half and remove the seeds. Grate the raw papaya and keep aside.
- Grate the coconut. Grind grated coconut, ½ an onion, green chilli, garlic cloves and cumin seeds. Don’t add water.
- Heat a tablespoon oil in a kadai. Season with mustard seeds.
- Toss in ½ a chopped onion and sauté till it turns slightly brown.
- Add the grated green papaya and sauté well for 1-2 minutes. Add salt and turmeric, mix well and cook covered on ow heat for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid and add the ground coconut mixture and curry leaves. Sprinkle red chilli powder and mix well. Cover and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove and serve Raw Papaya Thoran Kerala style with hot white rice and dal.