Jeera Aloo Fry is an easy Punjabi side dish made with potatoes and cumin seeds. Aloo Jeera Punjab style is a no onion-garlic vegetarian dish tempered with whole cumin seeds.
Potatoes with cumin is an easy stir-fry dish where boiled potatoes are sautéed with some Indian spices. Punjabi Jeera Aloo goes well with Dal-Rice, Puris or Chapathis.
Jeera or cumin seeds not just impart flavour to food but also come with many health benefits. Cumin seeds are iron-rich, aid digestion, give relief from acidity and have antiseptic properties.
Jeera Aloo Fry Recipe Step By Step:
1. To make this dry cumin potato sabzi, boil, peel and cube 4 medium potatoes.
2. Heat oil in a frying pan. Toss in cumin seeds. Add green chillies and hing (asafoetida). Stir for a few seconds.
3. Add the dry spices – turmeric, coriander, amchur (mango) powder and chilli powder. Stir for 5-10 seconds.
4. Add the boiled potato cubes and salt. Mix gently and sauté for about 5 minutes. The potatoes should be evenly coated with the masalas.
5. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and remove.
6. Serve Punjabi Aloo Jeera with plain white rice and dal or with Rotis.
Jeere wale Aloo Punjabi Style recipe details:
- Potatoes – 4 medium, boiled and cubed
- Cumin seeds – 1 ½ tsp
- Green chilli – 1, slit
- Turmeric – ¼ tsp
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Asafoetida – ⅛ tsp
- Red chilli powder – ¼ tsp
- Dry mango (Amchur) powder – ½ tsp
- Coriander powder – ½ tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp, chopped
- Boil the potatoes until tender. Peel and cube the aloo.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Add the cumin seeds and allow to sizzle.
- Lower the flame and add a pinch of asafoetida, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and dry mango powder. Mix well.
- Add the boiled potatoes, salt to taste and toss well.
- Garnish jeere wale aloo with coriander leaves and remove.
- Serve Punjabi Jeera Aloo Fry with Rotis or Puris.
* You can omit dry mango powder and drizzle some fresh lemon juice on top.
* Best to use freshly ground coriander powder to lift the flavours.