Aloo Posto Bengali style is an all-time favourite Bengali potato recipe which combines cubed potatoes with thickly ground poppy seed paste, topped generously with mustard oil. Authentic Bengali Aloo posto recipe combined with Kalai Dal is simply bliss.
Poppy seeds are tiny kidney-shaped oilseeds obtained from opium poppy. The seeds are used as ingredients – either whole or ground – in many foods.
Poppy seeds are highly nutritious – they are rich in calcium and phosphorus – both required for good bone health. The oilseeds are an excellent source of dietary fiber and B Vitamins.
Aloo Posto Bengali Recipe:
Aloo Posto Bhaja – potatoes cooked together with ground poppy seeds paste is a Bengali delicacy.
To make this authentic alu posto recipe Bengali style, peel and dice the potato into cubes. Keep them immersed in water or else they tend to blacken. Slit the green chillies.
Soak poppy seeds in warm water for about half-an-hour at least – the longer the poppy seeds are soaked, the easier it gets to grind them. Grind poppy seeds/posto to a thick smooth paste.
Heat oil in a pan. Add onion seeds/kala jeera and once they start to splutter, add the green chillies and potato cubes.
Sauté for 1-2 minutes. Add turmeric, salt, sugar and water. Stir well, cover and cook till the potatoes are ¾ done.
Add the ground poppy seeds paste and combine well. Simmer and cook till the potatoes are done and the dish is almost dry.
Add mustard oil for added flavour and mix well. Remove and serve Aloo Posto Bengali style with hot rice and a blob of ghee.
Niramish Alu Posto Sabzi details below:
- Potatoes – 3 medium, diced
- Poppy seeds/Posto – 5 tbsp
- Green chillies – 2, slit
- Onion seeds (kala jeera) – ½ tsp
- Turmeric – ¼ tsp
- Sugar (optional) – ¼ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 1tbsp
- Water as required
- Mustard Oil – 1 tbsp
- To make this Bengali posto recipe, wash and peel the potatoes. Cut into cubes.
- Soak the poppy seeds in warm water for 30 minutes. Drain and grind posto to a smooth paste (posto bata), using little water and keep aside. For a spicier dish, you can add 1-2 green chillies and grind along with poppy seeds.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan. Add kala jeera and let it splutter.
- Add the green chillies and potato cubes. Sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Add salt, turmeric, sugar and sufficient water. Cover and cook till the potatoes are ¾th done.
- Add the poppy-seeds paste and simmer till the potatoes are cooked through and all the water evaporates.
- Drizzle one tablespoon of mustard oil on top, blend well and remove.
- Serve Bengali Aloo Posto with Rice and Mashkalai dal.
A pinch of cumin powder can be added.
Chopped onions and 1-2 dry red chillies added to tempering takes this dish to another level.