Kalai Dal Bengali style is split urad dal simmered in a grated ginger-fennel seeds mixture. Biuli Dal or seasoned white urad dal is a healthy dish spiked with ginger-fennel seeds paste. This Bengali urad dal recipe is best relished with a side dish of Aloo Posto or potatoes cooked in poppy seeds paste.
Urad dal is widely used in Indian cuisine. It has numerous health benefits. It is a rich source of protein and fibre. Including urad dal in your diet helps reduce cholesterol levels and boosts cardiovascular health.
Kalai Dal Bengali Recipe Step By Step:
This traditional Bengali dal is a subtle combination of flavours. Kalai Dal or Kalai er Dal or Biuli Dal has a slightly runny consistency. It tastes awesome when mixed with rice with a dash of lime and alu posto or alu sheddo as a side.
How to make Bengali Kalai Dal:
1. For this mildly flavoured Bengali Kalai dal recipe, roast urad dal and pressure cook till soft. If all the water dries up add a little water and blend well. Keep aside.
2. Meanwhile, make a paste of ginger and fennel seeds.
3. Heat some oil in a kadai and put in the bay leaf and green chilli. Add asafoetida and the ginger-fennel-seeds paste. Sauté for a few seconds.
4. Tip in the cooked biuli dal. Add salt and let it simmer for 2-3 minutes till you get the desired consistency – it should not be too thick. If required, add some water to the kalai dal with fennel seeds.
5. Remove and have hot Biuli Dal Bengali style with Aloo Posto and steamed rice.
If you are looking for more white lentil recipes, do try out Medu Vada.
White Urad Dal Recipe details below:
- Split Urad Dal – ½ cup
- Green Chillies – 2
- Asafoetida – ¼ tsp
- Ginger – 1 inch piece
- Bay Leaf - 1
- Saunf/Fennel seeds – 4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 1 tsp
Dry roast the urad dal in a pan. Cool and then wash the dal thoroughly under running water. Drain and pressure cook with sufficient water till soft.
Meanwhile, grind the ginger and fennel seeds to a fine paste (ada-mouri-bata).
Heat oil in a pan. Add bay leaf and green chillies. Sauté.
Add ginger-saunf paste, hing and sauté for a couple of seconds till the raw smell disappears.
Tip in the boiled dal. Combine well. Add salt and let it simmer for 3- minutes.
Remove and serve Kalai-er Dal with white rice, Aloo Posto or Alu Sheddo.
* If the dal is too thick, dilute with a little water.
* Roasting the dal is optional. Urad dal when cooked tends to be sticky – roasting it helps reduce the stickiness.
* Usually turmeric is not added to this dal.