Cholar Dal Narkel Diye is lentils cooked with coconut slivers, raisins and spices. Mishti Chola Dal has a distinctive flavour and rich aroma. Bengali Chana Dal is a classic sweet dal Bengali preparation that goes well with luchis or kachoris.
Chana dal is rich in soluble fiber and protein. It has a low glycemic index and is good for those with diabetes.
Cholar Dal Recipe Step By Step:
Mishti cholar dal with coconut is a delicious twist to a simple dal recipe. Bengali sweet chana dal recipe is a perfect balance of flavour and consistency.
1. To make delicious Cholar dal with coconut, first boil Bengal gram dal till soft.
2. Heat oil in a pan and add whole garam masala and red chillies. Saute for about 30 seconds. Add coconut slivers and raisins and fry for 1-2 minutes.
3. Pour in the boiled chana dal. Mix in salt, sugar and cumin powder.
4. Simmer the Bengali meethi dal for 2-3 minutes till all the flavours are nicely absorbed. Top with a tsp of ghee.
5. Serve Cholar dal narkel diye (chana dal with coconut) with Luchis or Steamed rice.
Bengali Chana Dal Recipe details below:
- Chana Dal (Bengal gram) – ½ cup
- Bay leaf – 1
- Cinnamon – ½ inch stick
- Cardamom – 2
- Cloves – 2
- Red Chilli – 1
- Grated Ginger – ½ tsp
- Cumin Seeds - ¼ tsp
- Raisins (kishmish) – 1 tbsp
- Coconut Slivers – 2 tbsp
- Turmeric – ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Cumin powder – ½ tsp
- Sugar – 1 ½ tsp
- Ghee – 1 tsp
- Oil -1/2 tbsp
- To make narkel diye cholar dal, clean and wash chana dal. Soak in water for 30 minutes. Drain and pressure cook with a pinch of turmeric till soft.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add bay leaf, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and red chilli. Sauté for a minute.
- Add cumin seeds and allow to splutter.
- Add coconut slivers. Fry till slightly brown.
- Add raisins and sauté.
- Add grated ginger and hing. Stir.
- Add the cooked dal. Add cumin powder, salt and sugar. Combine well. Simmer chana ki dal for 5 minutes till it becomes slightly thick.
- Serve Bengali Cholar Dal Narkel Diye with Luchi or Steamed Rice.