Aloo Methi Fry is a classic Punjabi dish made with potatoes and fresh methi leaves. Punjabi Methi Aloo Ki Sabzi is a dry potato preparation that is popular in North India. Methi Aloo is an excellent side dish and you can be rest assured there won’t be any leftovers!
Fenugreek (Methi) is helpful in bringing down blood sugar levels in diabetics. It lowers cholesterol levels, reduces inflammation, effectively treats digestive disorders, mouth ulcers and boils.
Aloo Methi Leaves Fry Punjabi Recipe:
Fenugreek leaves potato stir-fry is a healthy and tasty combination and goes real well with Phulkas or as a side dish with Jeera Rice. Punjabi Aloo Methi recipe is a delicious vegetarian dish made with potatoes, fresh fenugreek leaves, and a subtle mix of spices.
For Aloo Methi Fry Sabzi, boil and peel the baby potatoes.
Finely chop the onion, methi leaves and coriander leaves; slit the green chilli.
In a pan, heat oil and put in the cumin seeds. Once they start to splutter, add the minced ginger, garlic, chopped onion and green chilli and stir fry for 4-5 minutes till the onion slices turn brown.
Add the turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, dry mango powder and sauté till all the masalas are well blended.
Toss in the methi leaves and stir fry for 1-2 minutes. Add garam masala powder, mix well.
Add the boiled potatoes, mix well and cook for a further 2 minutes till the potatoes are well coated with the spices.
Potato Methi Dry Fry Recipe details below:
- Baby Potatoes – 1 ½ cups
- Methi Leaves –1 ½ cups
- Onion – 1 large
- Green Chilli – 1
- Garlic – ½ tsp, minced finely
- Ginger – 1 tsp, minced finely
- Jeera/Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – ½ tsp
- Dry Mango Powder (Amchur) – ¼ tsp
- Coriander Powder – ½ tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – ¼ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil – ¾ tsp
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Lime juice – ½ tsp
- Presure cook baby potatoes. Peel and keep aside.
- Wash and pick fenugreek leaves. Rinse methi leaves thoroughly under running water. Coarsely chop the leaves.
- Finely chop the onion and coriander leaves; slit the green chilli.
- Heat oil in a pan and sizzle cumin seeds. Tip in finely chopped ginger, garlic, onion and green chilli. Saute till the onion becomes brown.
- Sprinkle turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder, garam masala and dry mango powder. Mix well.
- Add fenugreek leaves and saute for a couple of minutes.
- Tip in the boiled and peeled potatoes, toss well and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Garnish with freshly chopped coriander. Drizzle some lime juice.
- Serve Punjabi Methi Aloo with Parathas or Rice and Dal.