Aloo Palak is a popular Punjabi recipe combining cubed potatoes and pureed spinach with a dash of Indian spices. This delicious potato spinach curry is relatively easy to make and tastes yummy. Punjabi Aloo Palak Curry, a spinach based dish, goes well with Chapathis or Rotis.
Spinach, a leafy green vegetable is low in fat and cholesterol and high in protein, Vitamin A and iron. The green superfood is packed with nutrients and excellent for your health.
Aloo Palak Punjabi Curry Recipe:
Aloo palak is a mildly flavoured potato spinach curry very easy to prepare. This classic Punjabi veggie dish is full of nutrients and slow-cooked to perfection.
How to make aloo palak gravy:
For this easy potato spinach Indian recipe, first wash the spinach thoroughly and chop coarsely. Blanch the spinach leaves in hot water. Drain, cool and purée the spinach in the blender.
Wash, peel and cube the potatoes. Boil the potato pieces till 3/4th done. Drain and keep aside.
Finely chop the onion and tomato. Grate the ginger and garlic. Slit the green chilli.
Heat oil in a kadai and put in the cumin seeds. When they pop, add the grated garlic and ginger. Stir fry till the raw smell disappears.
Add the chopped onion and green chilli. Fry till the onions brown.
Tip in the chopped tomato and cook covered till they become mushy. Add the dry spices – turmeric, salt, coriander powder, garam masala powder and red chilli powder. Combine well.
Add the cubed potatoes and gently mix all the ingredients so that the potatoes are evenly coated with the masalas.
Tip in the spinach purée. Mix well and simmer palak aloo for a couple of minutes.
Remove and serve Punjabi Aloo Palak Curry with Phulkas or Parathas.
Spinach with Potatoes Indian style details below:
- Potatoes – 2 medium
- Palak – 1 ½ cups
- Oil – ½ tbsp
- Cumin Seeds – ¼ tsp
- Grated ginger – ½ tsp
- Grated garlic – ½ tsp
- Green chilli – 1
- Onion – 1 small
- Tomato – 1 small
- Turmeric – ¼ tsp
- Chilli powder – ½ tsp
- Coriander powder – ½ tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- For this potatao spinach Indian curry recipe, wash the spinach and blanch in hot water. Puree the spinach in a blender. Peel and cut potatoes and partially cook.
- Chop the onion and tomato. Slit the green chilli. Grate the garlic and ginger.
- Heat ½ tbsp oil in a pan. Add ¼ tsp cumin and allow to splutter.
- Add grated ginger and garlic. Sauté till the garlic browns.
- Add the chopped onion and green chilli. Fry for 2-3 minutes
- Add the chopped tomato and cook till soft.
- Sprinkle salt, turmeric, coriander pwd, garam masala pwd and red chilli powder. Mix well.
- Add the partially cooked potatoes. Combine well.
- Tip in the spinach puree. Mix and cook aloo palak ki sbzi uncovered for 2-3 minutes. Remove and serve Aloo Palak Curry hot with Rotis.
A pinch of asafoetida can be added to the dish.
A few drops of lemon juice can be sprinkled on top of the finished dish.