Dal Makhani is a Punjabi delicacy that oozes a delicious flavour and velvety texture. In this authentic Punjabi recipe, cooked lentils and beans are simmered in a rich onion-tomato masala base, topped with dollops of fresh cream and butter. Creamy and rich Punjabi Maa ki Dal and Naan make for an awesome combination.
Punjabi Dal Makhani is a mouth-watering delicacy from Punjab, traditionally cooked on a charcoal fire for hours to get a creamy texture. Generous amounts of cream and butter are added to this yummy Punjabi dal recipe.
Easy Dal Makhani Recipe Punjabi Style:
Makhni dal is a signature dish of Punjab. Dal refers to the black gram lentils and makhan refers to butter. A rich, wholesome dish to warm the cockles of your heart!
How to make Punjabi Dal Makhani:
1. For this Indian Makhni Dal recipe, soak whole black gram dal, chana dal and rajma overnight.
2. Next morning drain out the water, wash and pressure cook the dals/rajma with salt and turmeric until soft. Cool and grind about half cup of the dals to paste. Keep aside.
3. Finely chop onions, ginger, garlic, tomatoes and coriander leaves. Slit the green chilli.
4. Heat ghee in a pan and toss in cumin seeds. When they start to sizzle, add finely grated ginger and garlic and a pinch of asafoetida. Sauté until the garlic turns light brown.
5. Tip in the chopped onion and green chilli and sauté for 2-3 minutes till the onion turns translucent.
6. Slide in the chopped tomato and cook for 2-3 minutes till they turn soft.
7. Sprinkle turmeric, chilli and garam masala powder and mix everything together.
8. Add the boiled dals, kidney beans and dal paste. Stir well and check for salt.
9. Pour half a cup of the cooking liqueur, cover with a lid and cook Maa ki dal on medium flame till you get the desired consistency.
Makhani Dal Recipe Punjabi details below:
- Sabut urad dal/Whole Black Gram Dal – 2/3rd cup
- Chana Dal/Bengal Gram – 1/3rd cup
- Rajma/ Red Kidney Beans – 2 tbsp
- Ghee -2 tbsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida – ½ tsp
- Ginger – 1 tbsp chopped
- Garlic – 1 tbsp chopped
- Onions – 2 medium chopped
- Tomatoes – 2 medium chopped
- Green Chilli – 2 chopped
- Turmeric – ½ tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – ½ tsp
- Butter – ½ tbsp
- Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp chopped.
Wash the black gram, chana dal and rajma properly and soak overnight. Next morning, drain the water and wash the dals/rajma. Place in a pressure cook with about 5 cups of water, salt and ¼ tsp turmeric and cook until soft. Remove into a bowl and reserve the cooking liqueur.
Take about half cup of the boiled dals/rajma and grind to paste. Keep aside.
Chop onions, tomatoes, ginger, garlic and coriander leaves. Slit the green chilli.
Heat 2 tbsp ghee in a pan and add a teaspoon of cumin seeds. Sauté and then toss in 1 tbsp of chopped and pounded ginger, 1 tbsp of finely chopped garlic and a pinch of asafoetida. Sauté till the garlic turns slightly brown.
Add chopped onions and green chilli and sauté for 2-3 minutes till the onions turn soft.
Tip in chopped tomatoes and cook covered for 7-8 minutes until soft.
Sprinkle turmeric, chilli powder and garam masala powder. Mix well. Add the cooked dal and dal paste. Combine well and adjust the salt.
Add about ½ cup dal liqueur and cook covered till you get a thick consistency. Keep stirring in-between to prevent the dal from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
Add 1 tsp of butter on top. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
Enjoy hot and delicious Dal Makhani (Maa ki Dal) with Naan or Parathas.
* You can add about 2-3 tbsp cream