Palak Paneer is a popular Punjabi veg recipe where soft cottage cheese cubes are coated with pureed spinach sauce. Fresh cheese in a mildly flavoured spinach gravy is a tasty vegetarian dish packed with the goodness of palak.
Spinach, an edible flowering plant is loaded with nutrients. Bright green spinach leaves have a higher Vitamin C content. Spinach is rich in iron and a good source of dietary potassium and fiber.
Paneer is a good source of protein and calcium, essential for strong bones and teeth and in preventing osteoporosis.
Punjabi Palak Paneer Recipe:
Palak paneer is a popular Indian spinach recipe where soft, spongy cottage cheese cubes are tossed in a silky smooth spinach curry. Restaurant style palak paneer recipe goes well with Rotis or Jeera rice.
The lovely lush green colour of Palak Paneer Punjabi Dhaba Style is so mesmerizing. To recreate this emerald green spinach and cottage cheese gravy dish in your kitchen, just read along.
How to make palak paneer:
1. To make palak paneer at home, wash the spinach, mint and coriander leaves thoroughly. Cut the stems of spinach and coriander leaves. Pick mint leaves and immerse in water along with palak and coriander leaves. Keep changing the water till it runs clear. Chop the leaves and keep aside.
2. Boil water in a pan to which a pinch of salt is added. Dunk the spinach leaves, coriander and pudina leaves in hot water for about 2-3 minutes. Immediately refresh in cold water. Grind the leaves to a smooth paste along with green chillies, garlic and ginger. Keep aside.
3. Chop the onion, cube the paneer and purée the tomato.
4. Heat oil in a pan. Toss in cumin seeds and allow to sizzle. Add the chopped onions and fry till they brown.
5. Add the tomato purée and turmeric powder. Mix well and cook for 1-2 minutes on medium heat till the tomatoes turn pulpy and the oil starts to ooze out.
6. Add the dry spices – red chilli powder, cumin powder and coriander powder. Stir well.
7. Tip in the spinach purée. Mix well and simmer on medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
8. Add the paneer cubes and stir gently. Simmer spinach paneer for 1-2 minutes. Sprinkle some garam masala powder and kasoori methi powder. Mix in a dollop of butter and remove paneer spinach curry.
9. Drizzle some lime juice on top and serve authentic Punjabi Palak Paneer with Rotis.
Fresh Cheese And Spinach Curry Recipe details:
- Paneer – 250 gms
- Palak/Spinah – 1 bunch
- Pudina/Mint leaves – a handful
- Coriander leaves – a handful
- Ginger – 1 tbsp chopped
- Garlic – 1 tbsp chopped
- Green chilli – 1 slit
- Onion – 1 medium
- Tomato – 1 medium
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Turmeric – ¼ tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1/8th tsp
- Cumin powder – 1/4th tsp
- Coriander powder – ½ tsp
- Kasoori methi powder – 1/8th tsp
- Garam masala – a pinch
- Salt to taste
- Butter – ½ tbsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
Thoroughly wash spinach, mint and coriander leaves. Chop the stems of spinach and coriander and pick the mint leaves. Immerse the leaves in water and keep changing the water frequently till the water runs clear.
Roughly chop the leaves.
Boil water in a large kadai. Immerse the spinach, mint and coriander leaves in the boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and immediately immerse in cold water.
Grind the spinach, pudina and coriander leaves to a fine paste along with ginger, garlic and green chillies. Keep aside.
Heat oil in a kadai and season with cumin seeds. Add chopped onions and fry till the onions turn brown.
Add the tomato puree and sprinkle some turmeric powder. Cook till the tomatoes soften. Add red chilli powder, cumin powder and coriander powder. Mix well.
Add the spinach puree and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
Tip in the paneer cubes and mix gently. Sprinkle a little garam masala, a pinch of kasoori methi and combine well. Cook for a minute or two.
Blend in a blob of butter for added flavour and remove.
Serve healthy Palak Paneer hot with Naan or Parathas.
* You can lightly fry the Paneer cubes and then add to the spinach gravy.
* You can mix in 1-2 tbsp of cream.