Cabbage carrot thoran is a popular dry preparation from Kerala. Thoran is a Kerala style, coconut-based vegetarian stir fry dish made from whatever fresh vegetables are in season – cabbage, carrot, beans, beetroot, leafy vegetables or a combination of veggies.
This Kerala stir-fry dish combines grated carrot and cabbage with grated coconut, curry leaves, green chillies, onions and spices. A sprinkling of freshly grated coconut transforms even the blandest of vegetables into a lip-smacking dish!
Cabbage carrot thoran is a dry side dish served with rice. Fresh grated coconut is a delicious addition to veggie dishes. Thoran is a Keralite curry made with finely chopped vegetables and it usually forms a part of the Sadhya (feast) menu.
Cabbage Carrot Thoran Kerala Recipe:
Yummy carrot cabbage coconut dry curry Kerala style is a simple and healthy side dish. Try out this quick and easy thoran recipe.
How to make Kerala Cabbage Carrot Thoran:
1. To make Kerala Cabbage Carrot Thoran, finely chop cabbage, carrots, green chillies and shallots. Grate the coconut.
2. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and onions. Saute.
3. Toss in chopped carrot, cabbage and chillies. Stir well.
4. Sprinkle salt and turmeric and cook covered for 4-5 minutes. No need to add water. (If required, sprinkle a little water).
5. Add the grated coconut, mix well and cook for a minute or two.
6. Mix in crushed garlic and cumin seeds, curry leaves and cook covered till the moisture evaporates and the cabbage thoran with grated carrot and coconut is dry.
7. Serve Carrot Cabbage Thoran with steamed rice and dal.
Cabbage Carrot Coconut Dry Curry Recipe details:
- Cabbage – 2 cups finely chopped
- Carrots – ½ cup finely chopped
- Green chillies – 3-4 finely chopped
- Crushed garlic - 2-3 pods
- Crushed cumin seeds - ½ tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Onion/shallots - ¼ cup finely chopped
- Turmeric powder - ¼ tsp
- Curry Leaves – 4-5
- Grated coconut – ½ cup
- Refined oil – 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
For this stir fry cabbage recipe, heat oil in a pan and toss in mustard seeds. Once they start to splutter, add chopped onions and sauté for 2 minutes.
Add the chopped cabbage, carrots and green chilies. Stir for 1-2 minutes.
Add turmeric powder and salt to taste. Mix well and cook on medium flame for about 4-5 minutes. If required, add a little water.
Add the grated coconut and close the lid. Cook for about 2 minutes.
Add the crushed cumin seeds, garlic, curry leaves and close the lid. Cook for about 2 minutes or until it is dry.
Serve Cabbage and Carrot Thoran with hot rice and papad.