The light yellow-colored split moong dal is high in dietary fiber, protein, folate, thiamine and iron. It is low in fat and calories and it is easy to digest.
Bhaja (roasted) moong dal is a classic Bengali dish where split moong dal is dry roasted, pressure-cooked and then tempered with spices. The primary flavours of this aromatic yellow Moong Dal Bengali recipe come from roasted moong, desi ghee and spices.
Bengali Bhaja Muger Dal Step By Step:
Sona Muger Dal cooked in ghee is deliciously aromatic and tastes heavenly when mixed with steaming white rice with jhuri aloo bhaja/papad as a side.
How to make Bengali Bhaja Muger Dal with roasted yellow moong dal:
1. To make Bengali Sona Moong Dal, dry roast yellow split moong dal on low heat till it turns golden brown. Cool and wash the dal.
2. Pressure cook the dal with a pinch of turmeric and enough water till it turns soft. Remove and keep aside.
3. Heat ghee in a pan and season with bay leaf, cumin seeds, green chilli and grated ginger. Sauté for 1-2 minutes.
4. Pour in the boiled dal. Sprinkle roasted cumin powder, salt and sugar and simmer for 4-5 minutes till the bhaja moong dal is well blended. If the dal is too thick, add a little water.
5. Remove and serve Bengali Bhaja Muger Dal with hot rice and Aloo Bhaja .
Yellow Moong Dal Recipe details below:
- Moong dal – ⅓rd cup
- Turmeric – ½ tsp
- Ghee – 1 tsp
- Bay Leaf – 1
- Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp
- Grated Ginger – ½ tsp
- Green Chilli – 1
- Roasted Cumin Powder – ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Sugar ½ tsp
- In a frying pan dry roast the moong dal for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly. Cool and wash roasted dal thoroughly. Pressure cook the moong dal with a pinch of turmeric.
- Heat ghee in a pan. Add bay leaf and cumin seeds. Sauté.
- Add the grated ginger and green chilli. Sauté for a minute or two.
- Tip in the cooked dal. Add roasted cumin powder, salt and sugar. Mix well.
- Simmer for 4-5 minutes. If the dal is very thick, dilute by adding a little water.
- Remove and serve Bhaja Sona Moong Dal with steamed rice and begun bhaja.