Aamer Dal is a Bengali Mango Dal Recipe where matar dal (yellow split peas) is cooked with raw green mangoes. Tok means sour in Bengali and the Tok Dal gets its sourness from the green mango. The mango flavoured dal goes well with steamed rice.
Mangoes, with their high fiber and water content, help prevent constipation and improve blood sugar levels in diabetics. The Vitamin A content in mangoes helps promote healthy hair and skin.
Aamer Dal With Raw Mango Step By Step:
Aam Dal is usually cooked during summer months when mangoes are available aplenty. Aamer Tok Dal and white rice is an irresistible combination. You’ll just love the tangy flavor of this Bengali raw mango recipe.
How to make Bengali Aamer Dal:
To make sour and tangy Aamer Dal, wash the matar dal well and pressure cook it with 1 ½ cups water and a pinch of turmeric. Cook for one high and two low whistles, till the dal is almost done.
Meanwhile, wash, peel and thickly slice the raw mango and slit the green chilli.
Open the cooker once the pressure releases and drop in the kacha aam slices and green chilli. Close the lid and pressure cook for one whistle. The lentils will be nicely cooked and the raw mango slices will be tender.
Heat oil in a frying pan and temper with mustard seeds and dry red chillies.
Lightly whisk the pressure cooked Toker Dal and add it to the tempering.
Add salt and sugar. Mix well and cook for 1-2 minutes. If the mango dal is too thick, add a little water.
Take it off the heat and serve Aamer Dal with white rice and veggies.
Raw Mango Dal Indian Recipe details below:
- Matar Dal (Yellow split peas) – ½ cup
- Raw Mangoes - 1
- Green Chilli –1
- Turmeric – ¼ tsp
- Water – 1 cup – 1 ½ cups
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Dry Red Chilli - 2
- Salt – ¾ tsp
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Oil – ¾ tbsp
- Wash the matar dal.
- Boil the dal with turmerici and 1 ½ cups water for one high, two low whistles.
- Wash, peel and slice the green mango. Slit the green chilli.
- Open the cooker, add cut mango slices and green chilli and cook for 1 whistle.
- Cool and whisk the Aam Dal.
- Heat oil in a pan. Temper with mustard seeds and dry red chilli. Pour the the kancha aam er dal into the kadai and stir well. Add salt and sugar. Add water if the Kacha Aam Dal is too thick. Let the green mango dal simmer for 1-2 minutes. Remove Mango Dal into a serving dish.
- Serve this sweet and sour Aamer Dal with steamed rice and alur choka.