Dal Tadka Dhaba Style is simple, super-hearty and easy to prepare. Punjabi Yellow Dal Fry Recipe is full of goodness and really comforting. While traditional Punjabi cuisine is rich and robust, nothing comes close to the bold and flavourful dal tadka, a yellow dal spiced with a tempering (tadka) of garlic, hing, dry red chilli, mustard and cumin seeds.
Dal tarka, made with split red lentils and split pigeon peas, is a rich and smooth yellow dal tempered with spices and desi ghee. Most Indian restaurants serve this mouth-watering tadke wali dal preparation.
Punjabi Dal Tadka Dhaba Style:
Restaurant style Punjabi Dal tadka, with its delicious garlicky flavour, makes the perfect accompaniment to Jeera Rice or Indian breads.
How to make lasooni dal tadka dhaba style:
To make Tadka Dal, clean and wash masoor and tur dal.
Pressure cook the dals with two cups of water until the dals are nicely cooked. Once the steam releases, open the lid and lightly mash the dals. Set aside.
Chop the onion, tomato and coriander leaves, slit the chilli and grate ginger-garlic.
Heat 1 tbsp of ghee in a kadai. Toss in chopped onions and sauté until they turn slightly brown. Add the slit green chilli and grated ginger-garlic. Sauté for half a minute till the raw smell disappears.
Tip in the chopped tomato and sauté till it softens.
Sprinkle turmeric powder, salt and red chilli powder. Mix in the cooked dal.
Add one cup of water and stir well. Let the lasooni yellow dal simmer on medium flame, stirring in-between. Once the desired consistency is reached, remove the yellow dal into a serving bowl.
Heat ghee in a pan. Sizzle cumin and mustard seeds; add chopped garlic, dry red chillies and asafoetida. Sauté till the garlic turns a light brown.
Pour the tempering over the cooked yellow dal. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve Punjabi Dal Tadka Dhaba Style with any Indian flatbread or steamed rice.
How to prepare dal tadka:
- Split red lentils (Masoor Dal) – ¼ cup
- Split pigeon pea (Toor Dal )-1/4 cup
- Water – 2 cups
- Ghee – 1tbsp
- Onion – 1 medium, chopped
- Tomato – 1 medium, chopped
- Green chilli -1, slit
- Ginger Garlic grated – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1tsp
- Turmeric – ⅛ tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – ⅛ tsp
- Water – 1 cup
- Cumin seeds – ¼ tsp
- Mustard seeds -1/4tsp
- Dry red chilli - 1
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Chopped coriander – 1 tsp
- Ghee – 2 tsp
- For this Indian dahl recipe, wash and pressure cook masoor and tur dal with two cups of water until tender. Turn off the heat, cool, open the lid and whisk the dal. Keep aside.
- Heat ghee in a pan. Add finely chopped onions and sauté till they turn translucent. Add green chilli, ginger and garlic and fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the chopped tomato and cook till it becomes soft.
- Add salt, turmeric and chilli powder.
- Stir in the cooked dal. Mix well.
- Add a cup of water and allow the dal to simmer for 5-6 minutes. Once it starts to thicken, transfer the dal into a bowl.
- Heat some ghee in a pan. Add cumin and mustard seeds. Once they pop, add garlic, red chillies and hing. Sauté for 15 seconds.
- Season the yellow lentils with the flavourful tadka. Sprinkle with freshly chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve Punjabi Dal Tadka Dhaba Style with Jeera rice or Naan