Jeera Rice or Jeera Pulao is aromatic basmati rice flavoured with jeera (cumin seeds) and minimal spices. This simple and fragrant cumin flavoured Cumin Rice recipe goes well with almost all Indian curries.
Caraway seeds are good for digestion and help relieve stomach and intestinal spasms. They help improve appetite and treat earache.
Jeera Rice Recipe:
Punjabi Jeera Rice recipe is a simple and easy way to cook Indian flavored rice and it’s a great accompaniment to any Indian side dish. I’ve used shah jeera to make Jeera Pulao but you are free to use cumin.
How to make Punjabi jeera rice:
1. To make jeera flavoured rice, wash and soak the rice for about 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. Cut the onions into thin slices, halve the chillies and finely chop coriander and mint leaves.
3. Heat oil in a pan and toss in the cashew nuts. Fry to a golden brown and remove.
4. Next, add the whole spices, allow to sizzle and then put in cumin seeds or shah jeera. Saute.
5. Add the onions, green chilli and ginger-garlic paste. Fry till the onions go brown.
6. Put in chopped coriander and mint leaves for added flavour.
7. Add the Basmati ice and gently stir it in.
8. Add salt and 2 cups of water and pressure cook cumin rice till done.
9. Remove Zeera Rice into a serving bowl and garnish with fried cashew nuts.
Jeera Pulao Punjabi Recipe details:
- Basmati Rice – 1 cup
- Bay Leaf - 1
- Cinnamon – 1 inch stick
- Cardamom - 2
- Cloves – 2
- Star Anise – 1
- Shah Jeera (Caraway Seeds) – 1 tsp
- Onion – 1 medium
- Green Chilli -1, slit
- Ginger-Garlic Paste – 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp, finely chopped
- Mint Leaves – 7-8, finely chopped
- Oil/Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Water – 2 cups
- Cashew nuts – 10-12
- Wash rice and leave to soak in water for 30 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Slice the onion, slit the green chilli and finely chop coriander and mint leaves.
- Heat oil in the pressure cooker. Fry cashew nuts and remove.
- Put in the whole garam masala. Allow to splutter.
- Add the shah jeera and sauté. Shah Jeera imparts a lovely flavour to the rice.
- Toss in the onions. Fry till brown.
- Tip in ginger-garlic paste. Sauté.
- Add coriander and mint leaves. Combine well.
- Add the drained rice and gently mix it in.
- Add 2 cups of water and salt to taste.
- Put on the lid and pressure cook for two whistles.
- After the pressure releases, gently fork the cooked rice out onto a serving bowl.
- Garnish with fried cashews and serve Jeera Pulao hot with Dal Tadka.