Chicken Rezala in Mughlai White Gravy or Murg Rezala is a deliciously divine white gravy chicken recipe that’s a favourite of the Bengali palate. This royal Mughlai chicken dish is a subtle mix of spices, flavourful and finger-lickin’ good!
Chicken is an excellent source of low-fat protein, selenium, niacin and phosphorous. It is a natural anti-depressant and a metabolism booster.
Chicken Rezala Bengali Style is a regal dish subtly influenced by the royal Mughlai cuisine. It was originally a meat-based dish, with tender chunks of lamb in a rich white gravy made from yogurt, poppy seed and cashewnut paste. The slightly sweet-tasting creamy chicken dish goes well with Butter Naan or Lachha Paratha.
Chicken Rezala Bengali Recipe:
Chicken in white gravy is an aromatic yogurt-cashew nut based dish, that is rich and filling. Indian cuisine is full of flavourful gravy chicken recipes and Bengali white gravy chicken is right up there! White chicken gravy recipe goes well with Roomali Roti.
How to make Bengali chicken rezala:
1. To make Kolkata Chicken Rezala Recipe step by step, marinate chicken pieces in onion paste, spices and curd and refrigerate it for 1-2 hours.
2. Heat oil in a pan. Add whole spices, onion paste, poppy-seed paste, cashew nut paste and simmer till the raw smell disappears.
3. Stir in well beaten curd and spices.
4. Add the marinated chicken to the pan. Add some water, mix well and simmer with a lid on till it becomes soft and tender, about 30 minutes.
5. After 30 minutes, remove the lid and stir in sugar, garam masala powder and khoya. Cook on a low flame till you get a nice thick gravy. Transfer the rezala chicken into a serving dish.
6. Heat some oil/ghee in a frying pan. Add dry red chillies and onion rings. Fry till the onions brown and add to the chicken shahi rezala. Garnish with a few aromatic strands of saffron.
Rezala Chicken Curry In White Gravy details below:
- Chicken – 500 gms
- Onions – 2 large boil and grind to paste
- Poppy Seeds/Cashewnut Paste – 1 tbsp
- Ginger-Garlic Paste - 1 tbsp
- Fresh Curd – 1 cup
- White Pepper – 1 tsp
- Bay Leaf – 3
- Cinnamon - 2
- Cardamom – 4
- Cloves – 4
- Garam Masala Powder – 1 tsp.
- Sugar – 1tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil/butter – 2-3 tbsp
- Khoya – 50 gms
- Dry Red Chillies – 4
- Onion – 1 slice into rings
- Saffron - a few strands
For this Bengali style Mughlai chicken recipe, first wash and clean the chicken pieces.
Marinate chicken pieces with salt and half of the following ingredients: onion paste, curd, ginger-garlic paste and white pepper powder. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
Soak the poppy seeds and cashew nuts in some water for about 30 minutes and grind to a smooth paste.
Heat some ghee/oil in a pan and toss in the bay leaves, cinnamon, cardamom and cloves.
Next add the remaining boiled onion paste and ginger-garlic paste and sauté for a couple of minutes.
Add white pepper powder, poppy seed paste, cashew nut paste, salt and mix well.
Stir in well-beaten curd. Slowly bring the gravy to a boil.
Add the well-marinated chicken, mix well, add some water, bring to a boil, cover and cook on slow flame for about 30 minutes.
After about half-an-hour, open the lid, blend in sugar, mashed khoya and garam masala and simmer till chicken is nicely done and you get a thick, creamy gravy.
Heat some oil/ghee in another pan and add red chillies and onions rings, stir till onions turn brown and add this on top of the cooked chicken .
Garnish with a few strands of saffron.
Serve delicious and succulent White Chicken Rezala Curry with Pulao or Roomali Roti.