Chicken Ghee Roast Kundapur is a Mangalorean delicacy. Its origins can be traced to the coastal town, Kundapur, close to Mangalore. Kundapur Chicken Ghee Roast is fiery-hot, spicy and tangy with the distinctive flavor of ghee.
Chicken health benefits are many – it is an excellent source of low-fat protein, prevents bone-loss, a natural mood-enhancer, good for heart health and boosts metabolism.
Chicken Ghee Roast Dry is a classic South Indian chicken recipe which finds a pride of place in most Mangalore restaurant menus. Delicious ghee roast chicken masala cooked in pure ghee and freshly ground spices with a sprinkling of curry leaves will leave you craving for more! Relish the taste of this spicy chicken masala recipe.
Mangalore Ghee Roast Chicken is easy to prepare and perfect to serve on a wintry day.
Chicken Ghee Roast Masala Recipe Step By Step:
Ghee roasted chicken masala is an iconic Manglorean chicken dish, spicy and flavourful; this mouth-watering, classic dish goes well with plain rice, tori, chapathi
How to make Kundapur chicken ghee roast:
1. For this easy ghee roast masala chicken, clean and cut the chicken into medium pieces. Marinate the chicken with curd, salt, turmeric and lemon juice. Refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours. Take it out after 2 hours and bring it to room temperature.
2. Heat a frying pan and dry roast pepper corns, coriander seeds, dry red chillies, fenugreek seeds, fennel seeds (saunf) and cumin seeds till a nice fragrance issues forth. Add garlic pods, sauté and remove.
3. Cool, add tamarind paste and grind to a smooth paste.
4. Heat ghee in the same frying pan and toss in curry leaves, followed by sliced onions. (Adding onions is optional). Sauté for a minute or two. Sprinkle turmeric and salt and fry for 1-2 minutes.
5. Add the marinated chicken pieces and mix well. Cook for 4-5 minutes.
6. Add the ground masala paste and combine well so that the chicken pieces are well coated with the masala paste.
7. Cover and cook on medium heat till the chicken is tender. Keep stirring in-between. Don’t add water as the chicken gives out a lot of water.
8. Once all the masalas are well absorbed and the dish is almost dry, garnish with fresh coriander leaves and remove Kundapur Chicken Masala into a serving dish.
9. Serve Mangalorean Chicken Ghee Roast with Steamed Rice, Dosa or Appams. Enjoy roasted chicken restaurant style!
If you are looking for chicken roast recipes, do try out Murgh Malai Tikka Kebab.
Ghee Roast Chicken Masala Recipe details below:
- Chicken – 500 gms
- Curd – 3tbsp
- Salt – ¼ tsp
- Turmeric – ⅛ tsp
- Lemon – ½
- Dry red chillies – 4-6 (you can add/reduce depending on your spice level)
- Coriander seeds – 2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Peppercorns – 2 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – ¼ tsp
- Garlic Pods – 6
- Tamarind paste – 1 tsp
- Fennel seeds (Saunf) – ½ tsp
- Ghee – 1 ½ - 2 tbsp
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Onion (optional) – 1 large, finely chopped
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Turmeric – ¼ tsp
- Sugar – ½ tsp
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- For this delicious recipe for chicken, wash and cut the chicken into medium-sized pieces. In a mixing bowl add curd, salt, turmeric and lemon juice. Mix well and marinate the chicken in this mixture. Refrigerate for about 2 hours minimum. Pull out about 30 minutes before preparing the dish and bring it to room temperature.
- Heat a frying pan and dry roast coriander seeds, cumin seeds, dry red chillies, peppercorns, fenugreek seeds and fennel seeds. Add garlic pods, stir for a few seconds and remove from flame. Cool and grind to paste along with tamarind paste.
- Heat ghee in the pan. Add curry leaves and allow to crackle. Add chopped onions and sauté till they brown. Add the marinated chicken cubes and fry for 1-2 minutes. Add salt and turmeric and let it cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the ground paste, mix well and cook covered till the chicken is done and all the masalas dry up. Garnish with coriander leaves and remove.
- Serve authentic Kundapur Chicken Ghee Roast with Jeera Rice.
* If you don’t have tamarind paste, soak a marble-sized tamarind in about in 2 tbsp of water and use the extract.