Fish is an excellent source of lean protein and omega-3 fatty acids. It helps fight depression, heart-disease and has cancer-fighting properties.
Kerala Hamour Fish Fry Recipe:
Fish fry with Hamour – a simple and easy fish recipe where fresh fish pieces are infused with masalas and shallow fried till cooked through – tastes really good! This fantastic shallow-fried fish dish features fresh hamour and spicy masalas. Your family and friends are sure gonna love it!
How to make Red Hamour Fish Fry:
1. To prepare Hamour fry, clean and wash the fish well. Pat dry, lightly score the fish on either side and set aside.
2. Take mustard seeds, garlic pods, chopped ginger, chilli powder, turmeric powder, black pepper powder and salt in a mixie jar and grind to thick, smooth paste with a little water. Add lemon juice and combine well.
3. Evenly coat both sides of the Hamour with masala paste. Let it rest for 30 minutes so that the fish soaks in all the flavors.
4. Heat oil in a frying pan. Place the spicy masala Red Hamour in the pan and shallow fry for about 4-5 minutes on each side or until the fish is done. Remove onto a paper napkin.
6. Serve Kerala Hamour Fish Fry with Steamed Rice.
Fried Red Hamour Fish Recipe details:
- Hamour Fish (Brown spotted reef cod) – 6 pieces
- Oil to shallow fry
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Garlic - 2-3 pods
- Ginger - ¼ cup, finely chopped
- Red (Kashmiri) chili powder – 1 ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder - ½ tsp
- Black pepper powder 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Lime - 1
- Clean the fish and pat dry.
- Grind all the ingredients listed under marinade to a fine paste and add 2 tsp of lime juice. (You can add 1 tsp of vinegar alternatively).
- The masala shouldn’t be too watery. Apply this mixture on both the sides of the fish.
- Keep aside for about 30 minutes, till all the flavours seep in.
- Pour oil in a frying pan and fry each side roughly for about 4-5 minutes, till the hamour fish cooks through.
- Serve hot Kerala Hamour Fish Fry as a side dish with rice.