Whole Wheat Bread is really a nutritious and healthy bread recipe. Made from 100% whole wheat flour, wholemeal bread has a nutty flavour and a wonderful texture.
Bread made from whole wheat flour is an excellent source of bran and fiber.
There’s nothing more therapeutic than kneading dough and experiencing that warm glow of pride when your bread dough rises in the oven, filling the kitchen with a wonderful aroma. Really satisfying and worth the time and effort.
Whole Wheat Bread Recipe:
After making whole wheat bread at home, you’ll never want to have store-bought bread. Delicious brown bread is the healthy alternative to white bread.
How to make homemade whole wheat bread:
1. For this easy brown bread recipe, using good quality yeast and the right amount is very essential. Take some warm water in a bowl and dissolve brown sugar in it. Add yeast to this mixture (the water should be lukewarm – too hot and it will kill the yeast, too cold and it won’t grow) to soften the yeast. Let it rest for 10 minutes.
2. In a mixing bowl combine wheat flour, salt and shortening. Slowly add the yeast mixture and knead the dough well so that it’s soft and pliable (but not sticky).
3. Place the dough in a greased bowl and allow it to rest for 2 hours in a warm place, covered with a damp cloth.
4. The dough will rise to twice its size. Just punch it down with your fist and knead gently.
5. Shape the dough into a loaf. Place it in a greased baking tin. Cover with a damp cloth and let it sit for 45 minutes. The dough will rise a second time.
6. Brush the top of the dough with milk, sprinkle some sesame seeds and bake in a pre-heated oven at 200 C for about 30 minutes.
7. Remove from oven and cool. Slice and serve moist homemade whole wheat bread with peanut butter.
Whole Wheat Bread Recipe details:
- Lukewarm Water – 1 ½ cups
- Brown Sugar – 1 tbsp
- Active Dry Yeast – 1 ½ tsp
- Whole Wheat Flour – 3 cups
- Salt 1 tsp
- Butter/oil – 1 tbsp
- Sesame seeds – ½ tsp
- Dissolve brown sugar in lukewarm water and sprinkle yeast over it. Let it stand for 10 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl take whole wheat flour and salt. Add shortening and yeast mixture and knead into a soft dough – about 7-8 minutes. If required, add a little water.
- Dab a little oil on the surface of the dough and place in greased bowl. Cover with a damp cloth and allow the dough to rise in a warm place for 2 hours. The dough will double in size.
- Punch down the dough with your fist and lightly knead it for 1-2 minutes.
- Shape the kneaded dough into a loaf and place in a greased loaf tin. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise until double in size – about 45 minutes.
- Pre heat oven to 200C/390F.
- Brush the dough with milk, sprinkle sesame seeds and bake for about 30 minutes at 200C.
- Remove and place side down on a cooling rack.
- Serve sliced whole wheat bread with apricot preserve.
* You can use 1 ½ cups wheat flour + 1 ½ cups plain flour for a lighter version.
* Makes 1 loaf