Kala Chana Sundal or Chickpeas Sundal is a nutritious, delicious and easy to prepare dish. Spicy chickpeas and coconut is traditionally made during Ganesh Chaturthi/Navratri.
South Indian chana sundal or Guggillu is prepared with brown chickpeas and can be served as a snack or side dish.
Chickpeas also know as Kommu Senagalu in Telugu is a high protein dish. Kommu Senagalu Talimpu or boiled chickpeas tempered with Indian spices makes for a lovely evening snack with tea.
Kala Chana Sundal recipe:
South Indian Kala chana sundal or Kondai Kadalai Sundal (Tamil) is a simple and tasty snack made with brown chickpeas.
How to make Kala Chana Sundal with Coconut:
1. To make this sundal recipe, soak black chana overnight. Discard water, transfer chickpeas into a pressure cooker. Add sufficient water and cook till soft. Drain and keep aside.
2. Meanwhile, grate the coconut and keep the ingredients ready.
3. Heat oil in a pan and crackle mustard seeds and urad dal. Add curry leaves and broken red chilli. Sauté for about 15 secs.
4. Add the boiled kala chana, sprinkle salt and cook for 1-2 minutes.
5. Sprinkle grated coconut and combine well. Add a dash of lemon juice and remove chickpeas sundal from stove.
6. Serve Kala Chana Sundal hot, garnished with freshly chopped coriander leaves.
Nala Kommu Senagala Talimpu details below:
- <span class="mceItemHidden" data-mce-bogus="1">Black Chickpeas/Kala <span class="hiddenSpellError" pre="Kala " data-mce-bogus="1">chana</span> – 1 cup</span>
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Curry Leaves – a handful
- Red chilli - 1
- <span class="mceItemHidden" data-mce-bogus="1"><span class="hiddenSpellError" pre="" data-mce-bogus="1">Urad</span> dal – ½ tsp</span>
- Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Grated coconut – 2 tbsp
- Lemon juice - 1/2 tsp
For this black chana recipe, soak Kala chana overnight or for at least 8 hrs. Pressure cook until soft.
Drain the chickpeas and keep aside.
Heat oil in a frying pan. Crackle urad dal and mustard seeds.
Add curry leaves and dry red chilli. Fry.
Add the cooked and drained chickpeas. Sprinkle required amount of salt and cook for 1-2 minutes.
Add the grated coconut and mix kale chane ki sabji well. Drizzle lemon juice and remove.
Serve Kala Chana Sundal hot garnished with chopped coriander leaves.