Sweetened balls of green gram mixture coated with flour batter and fried a crisp brown is an all-time Kerala favourite. The deep-fried sweet moong bean balls are easy to make and taste so delicious.
Sughiyan Kerala Sweet Balls Recipe:
How to make Kerala Sughiyan:
1. For this green gram Kerala snacks recipe, wash and pressure cook green gram dal. Evaporate any excess water and remove the cooked dal into a bowl. (Make sure you don’t overcook the dal, otherwise it will be difficult to mold it into balls).
2. Add grated coconut, grated jaggery, crushed cardamoms, dry ginger powder.
3. Mix all the ingredients well. (Alternately, you can melt the jaggery in frying pan and then add the coconut, cardamoms, ginger powder and cooked moong dal, whilst stirring all the time).
4. Shape into even-sized balls and keep aside.
5. In another bowl, mix together rice flour, salt and water to make a thick batter.
6. Heat oil for deep-frying. Dip the green gram sweet balls in the batter and gently drop into hot oil. Fry to a golden brown.
7. Remove the Sukhiyan balls with a slotted spoon and place on paper towels to soak excess oil.
8. Serve hot and crunchy green moong dal sweet Kerala Sugiyan with a hot cup of tea.
Cherupayar Sukhiyan Snack Recipe details:
- Whole green gram - 2 cups
- Jaggery – ¾ cup, grated
- Coconut – ¾ cup, grated
- Cardamom (Crushed) - 2
- Dry ginger powder – ¼ tsp
- Rice flour - 1 cup
- Maida – ½ cup (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Oil to fry
- Pressure cook the green gram dal with very little water. Do not overcook. It shouldn’t get completely mashed.
- Drain the cooked green gram.
- Add the grated jaggery, coconut, cardamom, dry ginger powder and mix well. You can warm the mix slightly to melt the jaggery so that it can hold the mixture together.
- Make lemon sized balls out of the mixture and keep aside.
- Mix water, salt and rice flour to make a thick batter. You can use ½ cup maida and ½ cup rice flour if you want a soft covering. Rice flour alone will make the covering crunchy.
- Dip the green gram balls in the rice flour/maida batter and deep fry in oil until golden brown.
- Drain and serve delicious Sughiyan Kerala style with a cup of hot chai.