Palak Matar sir fry is a simple and easy spinach and green peas recipe. Spinach and peas are sautéed with simple spices in this deliciously healthy dish. This easy Matar Palak vegetarian side dish goes well with rice or Rotis.
Spinach is loaded with nutrients. Consuming spinach helps control blood glucose and blood pressure levels, lowers the risk of cancer and improves bone health. Spinach is a great source of iron, potassium, vitamin K, dietary fibre and thiamine.
Palak Matar Stir Fry Recipe:
Palak Matar stir fry is a simple and healthy dish which combines the goodness of spinach with the sweetness of fresh peas. Palak Matar sabzi tastes real good with steamed rice.
How to make palak matar:
1. To make this simple Indian vegetarian no-onion no-garlic peas spinach dish, immerse the spinach leaves in water for a good 20 minutes. Keep changing the water in-between. Drain and chop the spinach.
2. Heat ½ tsp of oil in a pan and put in the cumin seeds. Once they start to splutter, add the red chilli, palak and peas.
3. Mix well. Add turmeric powder, a pinch of asafoetida and salt.
4. Simmer and cook for about 7-10 minutes on medium heat. Spinach releases water – so don’t add any water. It’s preferable not to cover while cooking as greens tend to blacken when cooked with a lid on.
5. Once all the water evaporates and the peas are cooked, remove. Serve yummy and healthy Palak Peas with Rotis or Steamed Rice.
Palak Peas Recipe details:
- Palak – ½ bunch
- Peas – ⅓ cup
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Turmeric – ¼ tsp
- Red Chilli – 1
- Salt to taste
- Oil – ½ tsp
- Wash the spinach thoroughly. Chop finely.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Add cumin seeds and red chilli. Sauté.
- Put in the spinach and green peas. Sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Add asafoetida, turmeric and salt. Mix well.
- Cook uncovered for 7-10 minutes on medium heat till all the water evaporates and the peas are cooked.
- Remove and serve Matar Palak with rice and dal.