Raw Banana Fry with coconut– cooked plantain cubes tempered with simple spices and tossed in a coconut-chilli paste is just heavenly. Aratikaya Vepudu Andhra Style is a simple and tasty South Indian plantain recipe which goes well with steamed rice or chapatis.
Iron-rich plantains help fight anaemia. High in potassium and low in salt, plantains help control blood pressure. Plantains are high in fiber and fight constipation.
Raw Banana Fry Andhra Style Recipe:
Aratikaya Fry Andhra Style is a simple stir-fried plantain dish that’s both flavourful and tasty.
How to make Andhra raw banana fry:
To make Aratikaya Kobbari Vepudu, peel and cube the plantains. Keep immersed in water or the plantain pieces will blacken.
Heat water in a vessel and once it starts to boil, add the plantain pieces and cook till soft. Drain the water and set aside.
Chop the onion and garlic finely. Wash and pick the curry leaves. Grate the coconut and grind to a smooth paste with green chilli.
Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Saute. Toss in dry red chilli, chana dal and urad dal and saute for 10-15 seconds.
Put in curry leaves, chopped onions, garlic and hing. Fry till the onions turn pink.
Add the cooked plantain cubes and mix well. Sprinkle salt and turmeric and sauté for a couple of minutes.
Mix in the ground coconut-chilli paste. Cook aratikaya kura on a low flame for about 5 minutes till the plantain pieces are nicely coated with the masalas.
Sprinkle freshly chopped coriander and remove Aratikaya Stir Fry. Serve Andhra Aratikaya Vepudu with hot Rice and Dal.
Aratikaya Kobbari Kura Recipe details:
- Plantain - 2
- Onion – 1 medium
- Green chilli - 1
- Grated coconut - 3 tbsp
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Cumin seeds – ¼ tsp
- Chana dal – ½ tsp
- Urad dal – ½ tsp
- Red Chilli – 1
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Garlic – 4 cloves
- Asafoetida - a pinch
- Turmeric – ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- To make aratikaya kobbari kura, wash, peel the raw bananas and cut into cubes. Put in salt water for 5 minutes. Drain and boil till cooked. Remove and keep aside.
- Finely chop the onion and garlic flakes. Wash and pick curry leaves.
- Grate coconut and grind to paste with green chilli.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Toss in mustard seeds, allow to splutter and then put in cumin seeds.
- Add broken red chilli, urad dal, chana dal and stir for a minute.
- Add curry leaves, asafoetida, chopped garlic and onions and sauté till onions turn soft.
- Add boiled plantain cubes, stir, add salt and turmeric and toss well. Saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the ground coconut-chilli paste and combine well. Cook covered on low flame for 4-5 minutes till the plantain cubes are well coated with the masalas.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and remove.
- Serve Aratikaya Kobbari Vepudu with steamed rice and sambhar.