Sheem Shorshe is a delicious Bengali recipe combining Indian beans glazed with a thick mustard sauce. A classic way of enhancing the flavour of fresh green hyacinth beans.
Shimer tarkari is a simple side dish, easy to rustle up and goes well with rice. A deliciously nice way to make wild field beans.
Sheem (Sim, Shim) an Indian flat bean variety, helps in weight loss, lowering cholesterol and blood sugar levels. It has anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial and anti-fungal properties.
Sheem is known as Lablab Bean, Egyptian Kidney Bean, val bean, wild field bean, and Indian bean. The small flat green or purple pods are about 2-3 inches in length.
Shim (hyacinth beans) Shorshe (Mustard) Baata (Paste) – Flat green beans make for a great vegetable side dish here in Kolkata. Sheem Aloo Shorshe tastes heavenly when simmered in mustard sauce until soft and tender. The fresh green beans, potato and mustard blend beautifully into an appetizing vegetarian delight.
Fresh Sheem with a glossy green skin encasing tender peas, when cooked with potatoes in mustard paste tastes very good. If you dislike the sharp taste of mustard, just add a little poppy seeds and grated coconut while preparing the paste. You get a rich creamy consistency and a wonderful flavour.
Sheem Shorshe Bengali Recipe Step By Step:
Shorshe Sheem recipe (hyacinth beans coated with mustard sauce) is a typical Bengali dish made with the ubiquitous mustard paste. You’ll just love every bit of the mouth-watering beans recipe!
How to make Bengali Sheem Shorshe:
To make Shorshe Baata diye Shim, dissolve mustard powder in about 3 tbsp water with a pinch of salt. Keep aside for 10 minutes.
Wash and peel the potato. Cut into wedges. Wash and string the beans. (Cut both ends and tear the fibre that runs on either side of the bean). Chop the sheem into 2-3 pieces.
Heat 1 tbsp of mustard oil in a kadai. Season with ¼ tsp of kalonji and one slit green chilli. Once the seeds pop, add the potato wedges and the flat beans. Sauté for 1-2 minutes.
Add turmeric, salt and sugar. Sauté for 1-2 minutes.
Tip in the mustard paste and the required water.
Stir well, cover and cook on medium heat till vegetables are soft and tender and the water almost dries up. Sheem Shorshe Bengali style is ready!
Remove and serve Sheem Shorshe with rice and dal.
Aloo Shim Bengali Recipe details below :
- Mustard powder – 1 ½ tbsp
- Sheem (hyacinth beans), chopped – 1 ½ cups
- Potato – 1 medium
- Mustard oil – 1 tbsp
- Nigella seeds – ¼ tsp
- Green chilli – 1, slit
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Water – 1 ½ cups
- For this sheem recipe Bengali style, mix the mustard powder with a pinch of salt and 3tbsp water to form a thick slurry. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Wash, peel and cut the potato into wedges.
- Wash the green beans. Snip off the ends and remove the strings on either side of the flat bean. Cut each bean into 2-3 pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the nigella seeds and slit green chilli. Allow to sizzle.
- Add the chopped potato and hyacinth beans. Stir for 1- 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle haldi, salt and sugar. Sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Mix in the mustard paste. Add 1 ½ cups water and combine everything well. Put a lid on and cook on medium flame till you get a nice thick consistency. The aloo should be cooked through and the shim should be tender.
- The aloo and shim should be nicely coated with the sorshe bata with a wee bit extra mustard sauce on the side.
- Serve Sorshe Sheem with steaming hot rice and dal or with any Indian flat bread.