Sojne Data Chorchori is a Bengali side dish where drumsticks are simmered in a savoury mustard and poppy seed base. Sojne Posto – Bengali drumstick curry with poppy seeds tastes awesome when had with plain white rice.
Drumsticks are good for health. Drumsticks are high in calcium, iron, essential vitamins and minerals. Consuming drumstick enhances bone health, purifies blood, reduces acne and gives relief from respiratory problems.
This Bengali drumsticks curry niramish recipe cooked with shorshe posto bata (mustard and poppy seeds paste) is a vegetarian side dish that goes well with hot rice.
Sojne Data Chorchori Bengali Recipe Step By Step:
Sojne Data (Bengali for drumstick) is available aplenty in the summertime – the local markets stock fresh green and juicy drumsticks. Prepare homemade drumstick mustard curry Bengali style recipe in next to no time!
How to make Bengali Sojne Data Chorchori:
1. To prepare Sojne Data Chorchori, lightly scrape the drumsticks and cut into 2” long pieces. Peel and cut potato into thick wedges. Slice the green chilli.
2. Soak poppy seeds for at least 30 minutes and grind to a smooth paste. Add a pinch of salt and a little water to the mustard powder and blend to a smooth paste.
3. Heat oil in a kadhai. Drop in the sojne data and sauté lightly for 1-2 minutes. Remove and set aside.
4. Add the potato wedges to the kadhai and fry till they turn slightly brown. Remove.
5. Add onion seeds (kala jeera) and green chili. Sauté.
6. Add the lightly sautéed drumsticks and potato wedges. Stir-fry for 30 seconds.
7. Add turmeric powder and red chilli powder and mix well.
8. Blend in the mustard paste and poppy seeds paste. Add salt to taste. Simmer the sojne posto curry for 3-4 minutes.
9. Add 1 to 1 ½ cups of water. Put a lid on and cook on medium heat till the drumstick and potato pieces are done and the dish is dry. Remove lid, mix some mustard oil into the sojne data aar aloo tarkari.
10. Serve Sojne Data Chorchori with steamed rice and papad.
If you are looking for easy recipes for drumsticks, do try out Sojne Phool Bhaja.
Bengali Drumstick Recipe details below:
- Drumsticks – 4
- Potato – 1 large
- Poppy seeds – 1 ½ tbsp
- Mustard powder – 1 tbsp
- Green chilli -1
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Onion seeds – ¼ tsp
- Turmeric – ¼ tsp
- Salt – ¼ tsp or to taste
- Red chilli powder – 1/8th tsp
- Mustard oil – ½ tbsp
- Water 1 ½ cups
To make Sojne Data-r Chorchori, lightly scrape and cut the drumsticks into 2 inch pieces. Peel and cut the potato into thick wedges. Slit the green chilli.
Grind poppy seeds into a smooth paste. Add a little water and a pinch of salt to the mustard powder and mix to form a lump-free paste.
Heat oil in a frying pan. Toss in the drumsticks and lightly fry for a minute or two. Remove with a slotted spoon and keep aside. Add the potato wedges to the same pan and sauté till they get some colour on them. Remove and set aside.
Season the oil with onion seeds/kala jeera and green chilli. Sauté for a couple of seconds.
Add the drumsticks and potato wedges. Mix well.
Sprinkle turmeric powder and red chilli powder.
Tip in the mustard paste and poppy seeds paste. Combine well. Add salt to taste.
Add about 1 to 1 ½ cup(s) of water and simmer with a lid on till the potatoes are cooked, the drumsticks are tender and all the excess water has evaporated.
Drizzle some mustard oil on top of the drumsticks and potato curry.
Remove and serve Bengali Sojne Data Chorchori with white rice.
*This dish is ideally made with mustard oil.
*To make mustard paste, soak mustard seeds in warm water for at least 30 minutes and then grind to a smooth paste with a pinch of salt and a little water.
* You can use black mustard seeds or yellow mustard seeds or a combination of both.
* Strain the mustard paste before using.
* You can also make this dish using just mustard paste or poppy seeds paste.
* You can use paanch phoron instead of onion seeds. A pinch of sugar can be added to the dish.