Jhinge Narkol is a quick, healthy and refreshingly light side dish prepared with ridge gourd. The snowy white coconut sprinkling nestling amidst the bright green ridge gourd cubes is unspeakably lovely and delicious too! I just crave ridge gourd with coconut in summer – it’s the perfect antidote to the sweltering heat.
Ridge gourd or beerakaya is a low-calorie, high water content vegetable which makes it an ideal choice for weight loss. It’s a rich source of dietary fibre, Vitamin C and minerals. It has a cooling effect on the body and it’s the most popular veggie to incorporate into meals in summer.
Jhinge Narkol Recipe Bengali Style:
Fresh ridge gourd has a lovely light green colour and looks wonderful when cooked. It’s a light dish with minimal spices and easily digestible. Jhinge Narkol is the perfect side dish to relish in summer.
Indian summers can be oppressively hot and eating the right food can help you fight dehydration. Beerakaya Kobbari is a nice simple recipe and it definitely doesn’t get much easier than this. Ridge gourd cooks fast and is done in no time at all.
How to make jhinge narkol torkari:
To make Beerakaya Kobbari, wash, peel and cut the ridge gourd into small cubes. If you have fresh and tender ridged gourd, the skin peels easily. Grate the coconut.
Heat 1 tsp of mustard oil in a frying pan. Sizzle kala jeera and a broken red chilli.
Add the jhinge pieces and sauté for ½ minute.
Sprinkle turmeric and salt. Mix well.
Cover and cook the ridge gourd on low-medium heat for about 10 minutes. Fresh ridge gourd will give out a lot of water.
Keep stirring in-between till the beerakaya is soft and tender and all the moisture has evaporated..
Add sugar and freshly grated coconut.
Gently mix till well incorporated.
Remove and serve Bengali Jhinge Narkol with rice and dal or chapathi.
Ridge Gourd With Coconut Recipe details below:
- Jhinge (Ridge gourd) – 2
- Dry red chilli – 1
- Kala jeera (Nigella seeds) - ¼ tsp
- Grated coconut = 2 ½ tbsp.
- Turmeric – ⅛ tsp
- Sugar – a pinch
- Salt - ¼ tsp
- Mustard oil – 1 tsp
- Wash and peel the ridge gourd. Cut into small pieces.
- Heat mustard oil in a wok. Add the Nigella seeds and dry red chilli and allow to splutter.
- Add the ridge gourd pieces, salt and turmeric. Sauté for ½ minute.
- Cover with a lid and simmer for about 10 minutes on low-medium heat until the jhinge becomes tender, stirring occasionally. No need to add water as the jhinge releases water.
- Sprinkle sugar and grated coconut, give a quick stir and remove from heat.
- Serve Ridge Gourd With Coconut as a side with plain rice or chapathi.