Aloo Barbati Vepudu is a dry and spicy stir fry preparation made with yard long beans and potatoes cooked with Indian spices. Easy to cook and delicious to eat. This is a wonderful way to spice up plain yard long beans for an easy side dish. Enjoy this simple Aloo and Barbati fry with hot rice and dal or soft parathas.
Barbati is known as yard long bean, pea bean or Chinese long bean. They are an excellent source of protein, vitamin A, vitamin C, iron and dietary fibre.
These Chinese Long Beans are tossed with sliced onions, potatoes and a mix of savoury spices with a sprinkling of roasted chickpea powder for the yummiest Chinese Long Beans ever!
Roasted chickpea powder (bhuna chana powder) is made from black chickpeas.
Aloo Barbati Recipe:
Homestyle barbati stir-fried with potatoes is a simple and flavourful stir fry dish. It’s a great way to enjoy fresh and tender Chinese Long Beans. Yard long beans are tossed with onion, potatoes and spices in this delightfully simple vegetarian side dish! Aloo Barbati Fry is sure to liven up your taste buds!
How to make Andhra aloo barbati:
To make Aloo Barbati, wash and peel the aloo. Cut them lengthwise. Boil/pressure the potatoes with 1/8 tsp of turmeric powder till tender (If pressure-cooking, cook for just 1 whistle). Drain the water and keep the tender potato wedges aside.
Wash, string and chop the barbati into 1 inch long pieces. Cook the the yard long beans in boiling water till just tender. Drain the water and keep aside.
Heat oil in a frying pan on medium heat and season with cumin seeds. Add the sliced onions and green chilli. Fry till the onions turn a soft brown.
Put in the barbati and sauté for a minute.
Add turmeric, salt, red chilli powder, coriander powder and garam masala. Combine well.
Add the boiled potatoes and toss gently. Cover and cook for 1-2 minutes till all the masalas are well absorbed.
Sprinkle roasted chickpea powder, mix gently and remove aloo barbati curry from heat. Garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve Aloo Barbati Fry as a side with white rice and dal or with Roti/Chapathi.
Yard Long Beans And Potato Recipe details below:
- Barbati/Yard Long Beans – 2 cups, chopped
- Potato – 3 or 4 medium
- Onion – 2 medium, sliced
- Green chilli -1, slit
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Garam masala powder – ¼ tsp
- Turmeric – ¼ tsp + ⅛ tsp
- Chilli powder – ¼ tsp
- Coriander powder - 1 tsp
- Salt – 1 ¼ tsp
- Roasted Chickpea powder (putnala podi) – 2 tbsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp, chopped
- Wash the yard long beans and chop them into 1 inch pieces. Par-boil in sufficient water till tender. Drain the water and keep the barbati aside.
- Wash and peel the potatoes. Cut them into long wedges and pressure cook with a ⅛ tsp of turmeric and sufficient water for just 1 whistle. Drain the water and keep the cooked potato wedges aside.
- Heat oil in a wok or kadai. Add cumin seeds and allow to splutter.
- Add sliced onions and slit green chilli. Sauté till the onions get some colour on them.
- Add the barbati and sauté for a minute.
- Sprinkle salt, turmeric, red chilli powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder. Mix well.
- Add the cooked potatoes and gently combine everything together. Cover and cook on a low flame for 1-2 minutes.
- Sprinkle roasted chickpea powder (putnala powder) and mix well.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and remove.
- Serve Yard Long Beans and Potato Fry with rice or roti.