Spanish Omelette or Tortilla Española is a popular Spanish dish made with eggs, potato wedges, sliced onions and bell pepper. The Spanish Potato Omelette (Tortilla de Patata) is really filling, delicious and easy to make.
Spanish Omelette Recipe Step By Step:
Spanish Tortilla is an omelette with a slew of tantalizing flavours in every spoonful. This thick, fat egg and potato omelette can be served hot or cold, with all your favourite ingredients incorporated.
How to make quick and easy Spanish Omelette:
1. The Spanish omelette is comfort food beyond compare. To make this classic omelette recipe, wash and peel the potato. Slice it in half lengthwise. Place the flat side of the cut potato on the chopping board and slice it into thin wedges.
2. Slice the onion, tomato and capsicum. Chop coriander/parsley.
3. Heat about 2 tsp of oil in a non-stick frying pan. Arrange the potato wedges on it and cook the potatoes on medium heat, turning them over intermittently, till both sides are well cooked.
4. Add the sliced onion, tomato and capsicum to the pan. Sprinkle some salt and pepper. Mix gently and cook till the onions turn soft and translucent and the veggies are tender. Drain and remove.
5. Break the eggs into a bowl. Add salt and pepper and whisk well. Pour in the potato-onion-tomato-capsicum mixture and chopped parsely/coriander. Combine well.
6. Add 1 tsp of oil to the pan and gently pour in the egg mixture and spread it out evenly. The mixture should almost fill the frying pan.
7. Once the egg has cooked around the edges, carefully lift up one side of the Spanish omelette with a spatula and check if the mixture has slightly browned at the bottom. On the surface, the eggs will be runny and the inside of the mixture isn’t completely cooked.
8. At this stage you need to turn over the omelette and cook the other side. Take the frying pan off the stove. Place a large plate upside down over the non-stick frying pan. Hold the frying pan handle with one hand and place the other hand firmly on top of the plate. Quickly upturn the frying pan and drop the omelette onto the plate.
9. Put the frying pan back on the stove range and drizzle a little oil on it. Once the pan heats up, slide the potato omelette back into the pan. Allow it cook for 3-4 minutes till the eggs are done.
10. Remove and slice the Spanish Omelette into wedges. Serve Potato Omelette with French Bread or sandwiched between a baguette.
If you are looking for omelette recipe for kids, do try out baked vegetable omelette.
Tortilla de Patata Recipe details:
- Eggs – 2
- Potato – 1 medium
- Capsicum – 1 small
- Onion – 1 small
- Tomato – 1 small
- Olive Oil – 1- 2 tbsp
- Pepper – ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves/Parsley – a few
- For this great omelette recipe, peel and slice the potato into wedges. Slice the onion, tomato and capsicum. Chop the coriander leaves/parsley.
- Heat oil in frying pan. Place the potato wedges on the pan and fry till they turn a crisp brown.
- Add the onion, capsicum and tomato. Sprinkle salt and pepper and cook till the onions soften, stirring occasionally. Remove the potato-onion mixture with a slotted spoon and allow to cool slightly.
- In a bowl whisk eggs with salt and pepper. Add the potato-onion mixture and parsley/coriander to the beaten eggs and mix well.
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in the pan. Pour the egg mixture into the pan and spread evenly.
- Cook the eggs on medium-low heat till the omelette starts to come away from the edge of the frying pan, and looks to be about two thirds set.
- Place a large plate over the frying pan and invert the pan – the omelette will “fall” onto the plate. Place the pan on the stove once again and add a little oil.
- Slide the omelette carefully back onto the pan (along with any liquid egg) and cook the other side till the eggs are set and done. Do not overcook it – the omelette should still be slightly moist in the middle.
- Remove and serve Tortilla de Patata with salad.