Bread Upma Recipe has deliciously toasted bread cubes tossed in an onion-tomato-spices mixture. A simple and easy upma recipe, Bread Masala Upma with vegetables works well as a breakfast dish or as a yummy snack.
If you have some extra bread stocked up in your kitchen, put together this Bread Vegetable Upma recipe in a snap. This is a great way of using up left over bread; besides, this bread upma breakfast recipe is a healthier option too!
Bread Upma with vegetables is a truly healthy and effortless bread recipe that doubles up as a nutritious and filling breakfast dish or as a wholesome evening snack. Kids will love this Upma with colourful vegetables in their lunch box.
The choice of bread is left up to you – pick from white bread, brown bread, whole wheat bread, multi grain bread, freshly baked homemade bread or leftover bread slices.
South Indian Bread Upma Recipe:
Upma is a yummy South Indian recipe usually prepared with Rava (suji/ semolina). Bread upma is an improvisation of the traditional suji umpa recipe and it tastes just as good. So, if you are at worrying about what to fix for breakfast try out this easy bread breakfast recipe.
How to make Easy Bread Upma Recipe:
To make healthy Bread Upma at home, cut bread into small pieces cubes.
Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a pan and lightly brown the bread cubes on a low-medium flame. Remove.
Heat 1 ½ tbsp. oil in the same pan. Fry peanuts and remove.
Splutter mustard and cumin seeds. Add freshly picked curry leaves and a pinch of asafoetida. Sauté on a medium flame.
Add chopped onions and green chilli. Sauté till the onions start to sweat.
Add the chopped tomatoes. Sauté for 1-2 minutes till they start to soften.
Add the green peas, mix well and cook covered for 1-2 minutes.
Remove lid and sprinkle salt and turmeric. Mix this onion-tomato-spices mixture.
Add the toasted bread cubes and toss gently. Drizzle some lemon juice and mix the bread masala upma well.
Top with roasted peanuts, garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
Serve South Indian Style Bread Upma hot for breakfast or as a tea time snack.
Easy Upma Recipe Made From Bread details below:
- Bread – 5 slices
- Onion – 1 large, chopped
- Tomato – 2 medium, chopped
- Green chilli – 1, finely chopped
- Green peas – ⅛ cup
- Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp, chopped
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Raw peanuts – 1 tbsp
- Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Cumin seeds – ¼ tsp
- Asafoetida – ⅛ tsp
- Turmeric – ⅛ tsp
- Salt – ¼ tsp
- Lemon juice – ⅛ tsp
- Oil – 1 ½ tbsp
- For this upma with bread recipe, cut the bread slices into small cubes. Heat some ghee in a kadai and lightly toast the bread to a warm golden brown. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in the same kadai. Fry the raw peanuts and keep aside.
- Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. When they start to crackle, add a pinch of hing, curry leaves, onions and green chilli. Sauté till the onion turns translucent.
- Add tomatoes and sauté for two minutes.
- Add the peas, mix well, cover and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the spices – turmeric and salt.
- Toss in the bread cubes and gently sauté till well coated with all the masalas. Add a dash of lemon juice, give the bread tomato upma a quick stir.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and toasted peanuts.
- Serve spicy Bread Upma hot with some tangy tomato ketchup.
If the bread is a couple of days old and the crust is hard, trim the edges and add 1-2 tbsp of water or beaten curd while tossing with the onion-tomato-spices mixture to soften it.
You can spice up the dish with just a hint of Kashmiri chilli powder, Sambhar powder or Pavbhaji Masala powder.