Custard Jelly Cups is a refreshingly quick and easy dessert made with raspberry jelly topped with vanilla custard and garnished with roasted cashew slivers. I love this jelly custard combo – it’s bright and beautiful and perfect as a Valentine’s Day sweet treat. Not one spoonful of the custard & jelly will be left!
In this simple jelly custard recipe, jelly is first set in small glass cups, then custard is poured over the set jelly, cooled and refrigerated. I used store-bought jelly crystals and custard powder to make the dessert. They are very convenient and taste swell.
The layered jelly and custard has layer upon layer of delightful sweetness! It’s so easy to make and you can add your own little delicious twist to it 🙂 I sometimes add lots of seasonal fruit to the custard jelly (you can experiment with cherries, wafers, caramel, whipped cream, chocolate chips or strawberry sauce.
Custard Jelly Cups Recipe:
Vanilla custard with jelly is a colourful and yummy dessert. A classically simple delicacy, this two-layered jelly with custard dessert, is an all-time favourite.
Since it’s made with instant custard powder and jelly crystals, you can make this in minutes. This is a lovely light dessert that the whole family will love, especially kids. You can get them to help out with this jelly and custard in a glass recipe.
How to make custard jelly cups step by step:
To make jelly custard cups, prepare the jelly as per the packet instructions (just use about 100ml less water than what’s mentioned on the pack to ensure you get thick jelly that sets real well) – take the jelly crystals and premix sachet in a clean, dry bowl.
Mix the jelly crystals and premix together.
Boil 400 ml water in a vessel, cool for a minute. Pour the hot water over the jelly crystals and premix. Stir until completely dissolved and you get a clear solution..
Half fill 5 small glass cups with raspberry jelly. Allow to set completely at room temperature – about 45 minutes.
Meanwhile heat 1/2 tsp oil in a pan and add the cashews. Roast to a golden brown, remove and keep aside.
Take 4 level tbsp of vanilla custard powder in a small bowl.
Stir in 3 tbsp of cold milk and keep stirring until you get a smooth paste.
Pour the remaining milk into a vessel and heat over a medium flame till bubbles start to form. Then add 3 tbsp sugar. Mix well till the sugar dissolves.
Slowly mix in the custard powder paste into the milk. Stir the custard mixture well on a low flame till it starts to thicken.
Cool the prepared custard for a couple of minutes and pour over the set jelly.
Allow the custard with jelly to totally cool down and then refrigerate the custard jelly cups.
Garnish the custard jelly layer with cashew slivers just before serving.
Serve Chilled Vanilla Custard Jelly Cups as a dessert.
Layered Jelly and Custard Recipe details below:
- Jelly crystals – 1 pkt
- Water - 400 ml
- Custard powder – 4 tbsp
- Milk – 500ml
- Sugar – 3 tbsp
- Roasted cashews – 1 tbsp
- Oil – ½ tsp
- Prepare jelly according to packet instructions – take the jelly mix and concentrate in a clean, dry bowl. Mix well.
- Boil 400 ml water, cool for a minute and pour over the jelly powder. Mix well, ensuring no lumps.
- Pour the jelly till half in 5 glasses or cups and allow to set at room temperature – it takes about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a little oil in a pan and fry the cashews till they turn golden brown in colour. Remove and set aside.
- Mix 4 tbsp of vanilla custard powder with 3 tbsp of cold milk (taken from 500ml milk) in a bowl and keep aside. Boil the remaining milk in a milk pan.
- Then mix in 3 tbsp sugar. Stir till the sugar dissolves completely.
- Add the custard paste slowly to the boiling milk and stir continuously to prevent the custard from getting burnt. Simmer on a low flame till the custard turns smooth and thick. Turn off the flame and cool the custard for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour the prepared custard over the half-filled jelly cups. Allow to cool completely and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours.
- Just before serving, remove the jelly custard cup from the refrigerator and sprinkle roasted cashew slivers over the top.
- Serve layered raspberry jelly with vanilla custard chilled as a dessert.